Bashed Monocoque

Guest youngsterS3

Guest willie1505

Unfortunately thats a write off.

Depending what catagory it it determines what can be used / repaired.

Cat A must be crushed as is.

Cat B can be used for parts and then crushed.

Both would be dealt with by approved 'scrap yard'.

Cat C can be put back on road after repair but will need inspection by VOSA (they ar'nt daft and know what they are looking at).

Cat D can be put back on road after repair and would not need inspecting (your car is unlikely to get this Cat due to 'chassis damage').

This would effectively rule out repair by using V5 to basicaly build new kit.

Also once a Car has a category on it, category stays with car and cannot be removed, this makes insurance very difficult especially for young drivers.

Go for full payput from council through A Flux.

Sorry to bring bad news.

Alun.

Guest snotfart

looking at the pics it appears that the "pull" to the rest of the structure will be quite small and would most likely spring back once the damaged area is cut out,even if it does not the jigging to restore original wheel alignment would not be difficult.the outer skin is scrap but i would imagine that gbs could supply one if not it is an easy panel to bend up yourself.as for the inner structural panels the earlier contributors are right in saying that bashing out is not an option not least because s/s tends to work harden then fracture if overworked.i have not actually seen the form of the structural parts but am quite sure they are no more than simple folded panels which if you could not make them yourself could cheaply be made by any competent sheet metal fabricator.

then it is simply a case of welding in the repair panel and fitting the new skin.if i had spent four years on my car i would be very reluctant to see it written off for such minor damage.pm me for phone no if you want to discuss in more detail.dave

Guest mower man

Tubs can be repaired but it probably would be uneconomical ,buying an unfinished would be an option so long as it hasn't been reg in any way inmy understanding it should not need any further SVA/IVA attention as it is a repair don't take this as gospel it isas Iunderstand the complex and in MYop unec rules. Go for a full pay out with salvage [the car!!] and rebuild it ! HTH regards mower man :good: :clapping:

Guest erichetherington

Didn't Tricky Dicky say something about repairing monocoques in the build video and that he could supply parts.I know he's long gone now but just thought that it suggests that they can be repaired, after all most tin-tops can be jigged straight.

Guest youngsterS3

Hi all,

thanks again for all the replies.

The insurance chap popped over yesterday and has financially written it off as the only way he would be happy for it to be back on the road is with a whole new monocoque, never mind the cost of that (if one can be found) the labour would be silly.

Upon closer inspection (now that I can move about a bit more) I can see that the panel behind the passenger seat has buckled as has the panel in the boot that the diff hangs off. Too much to fix. I also rang GBS who strongly advised not to 'fix' it without a complete replacement, if one could ever be found.

I await a response with regard to a settlement offer. He did write it off in a way that I can buy it back if I want to.

currently looking into built 2bs and dare I say it as an alternative the tiger cat e1. There are not many, if any 2bs for sale locally, tigers there seem to be more of.

I still want more of a tourer type car with some luggage space as I want to be able to use it as my daily car and have somewhere to lock stuff up, at least out of sight.

• 2 months later...
Guest NEILH

hi,

sorry to ready about your accident and lose of your car , not wishing to be a voltour but if you break it i would be very interested in your seats and belts

thanks neil