Drilling Handbrake

Guest Mr Pid

After doing the necessary mods to my handbrake after reading Guy's story from his SVA about it failed, i have moved it out slightly and raised it up as described in the build tips section.

One thing brought a halt to my plans - the fact that i could not drill it!! :gdit:

I have used all manner of drill bits including titanium fellas and they all would hardly leave a dent in it! It must be made or armour plating or something!

Has anyone else come across this and if so what is the best way to proceed? :huh:

The only thing i can think of is to heat it red hot and try again but not sure if this would work. :(

Any ideas welcome.

Stu :D

Guest TerryBarry

It would depend where you are trying to drill it

The toothed quadrant will be harded - to resist wear.

I'm not sure if the hardening would extend to the fixing holes - probably does since it's easier to do than zone hardening the teeth.

Terry

Yeah its just by the holey bits that i am drilling.

I dont want to go on tunnel top as it is all built up for usual position and i have sierra tank fitted therefore not much space to be playing with. :huh:

I shall try heating it up tonight and see what happens i think.

Yeah i know what you mean - i hate those pieces of steel that make your drill mysteriously turn in reverse!?! :wacko:

I must confess that i copped with it last night after heating it up (and burning myself). :blink:

I took the trusty angle grinder to it and cut a slot for the bolt to slide in and out - works a treat but used up about half of a cutting disc!! :o