Hard Top

Guest Troy Halliday

Guest 2BBoulton

I drove my hood all winter as my only car. The roof was water tight except for high speed motoering and the lack of demisters was overcome once moving.

Getting in and out with the hood up was no problem. (i'm 6'2)

Step 1:- Insert left leg into the car.

Step 2:- Face away from the car and lower your backside down.

Step 3:- As you get lower bend over and aim your arse for the seat (you may sit on the edge first.

Step 4:- Keeping doubled you will slide into the car with your right leg on the outside.

Step 5:- Bring the right leg into the car and shut the side screen.

Getting out.

Step 1:- Put the right leg out of the car (mind the exhaust pipe)

Step 2:- Lean towarnds the passanger and put you arse out of the car.

Step 3:- Fold yourself upright with all your weight on your right leg.

Step 4:- Remove your left leg from the car.

Hope that helps

Bruce

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Troy Halliday

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I've learnt a couple of things;

1) The soft tops oonly waterproof if you perservere (oh and put a couple of real of duct tape on it :D )

2) it is possible, all be it highly amusing to passers but to get in and out of the car with the hood up.

3) It is a good idea to make a hard top because........ I'd be the first :p

and

4) if it looks *bleep*e then Timswait is gonna let me know about it ;)

Below is a pic of the Dax Rush with the hood up, I quite like the shape of this hood when its up so I will be basing my hard to around this look. I cannot start work on the hard top unttil either I or my friend Mick get our Robin Hood. We're not sure who's getting theirs first but as we will be using Micks Garage we just built I pretty sure he is going to be first.

But if anyone lives anywhere near me and doesn't mind me coming round with a tape measure and a digital camera I can start deigning it in my 3D application. I would first have to model the car but the shape is fairly sinple so it won't be that hard.

post-10-1077312673.jpg

Guest Troy Halliday

ooh please Petter. Can I bring a friend :D

Let me know what time and where and I'll see ya there. I'll have to come in my Clio, hope that won't embarase anyone. I can drive at a descrete distance if it would help ;)

• 3 months later...
Guest Troy Halliday

I know I'm digging up an old thread but I'm still working on the Hard Top and I have finaly got something to show you guys.

I've been putting in some hours when I'm not grit blasting and reconditioning the donar parts. I'm pleased with the disign and think it maintanes the original shape and style of the car, whilst making it fesable to use the car all year round. The Doors are gull wing doors so access should still be about the same as normal.

I would really appreciate your comments weather you agree or disagree. Any feed back would be appreciated. It's the only way to improve the design.

Thanks

Troy

post-10-1086025820.jpg

Guest Russler

couldn't of said it any better Rizla

Just one thing I though of when I was thinking along the lines of a hardtop would be an opening boot. I have my hood on all year round and it gets very annoying leaning into the boot over the back of the seats. But it really depends on how much you use the boot. :rolleyes:

Other than that, it looks brilliant, much prefer it to the old westfield one.

Guest Troy Halliday

Thanks for the feedback. :D

It should be quite easy, .....well possible to make the boot open, and I agree it would make it easier for access to the boot.

I will be fabricating the first one for the Mac 1, but the design should work on any Seven inspired car. It will be just a matter of reworking it to fit each make/model of Seven.

I'm not going to get to far ahead of myself but I had the intension to make several moulds for any model that their was a demand for. I would only need a willing owner to allow me to have acces to their pride and joy for the length of the retooling. How long that will take I'll be in a better position to say once the first prototype is done. :blink:

I'm going to put a high level brake light in the spoiler for better visability and try to use easily obtainable donor parts for things like the door handles. The finer points are yet to be worked out, but I'll keep you all up to date with any progress along with some of the other bits and pieces I'm working on.

Once again thank you, if you have any niggly points that you care to mention I am happy to hear them.