Hard Top

Guest Troy Halliday

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil gale

That looks very impressive!

Are you thinking of having any form of heated rear screen, along with the access for the boot??

I am now using the hood as my everyday car, and watching me climb in and out at work seems to be the highlight of the day for some colleagues!

I would be very interested in the cost of this hardtop your making, and how the doors etc seal on the sides of the car?

Neil.

Troy - the windscreen looks curved. Are you thinking of replacing the windscreen, pillars and all? I think that would yield benefits in terms of top end, noise and fuel economy. I could envisage removing my windscreen in Winter and bolting the whole roof assembly to the car...

Personally, you're on the right lines here IMHO. My build is only 1/4 of the way through (maybe half) but already I'm thinking about how it can be made more comfy in bad weather. I'm not into the noisy exhaust or the wind buffetting and as to all that water leaking in... It's not for me. As you demonstrate, there's no real reason why these type of cars cannot be useable in all weathers without the need to suffer.

The problem is... fabrication, in a word. You mentioned moulds and from that I assume you're proposing a fibreglass approach...?

Please tell me, I'm dying to know.....!

Guest Troy Halliday

To answer a few questions here is what I have in mind and am know researching.

I have talked to quite a few people and their comments are mirrored by the comments made here. The need for access to the boot is quite high on the list as is good access into into the vehicle. It needs to be water tight (of course) and the wind noise needs to be minimal. I am hoping with this shape and design that I can meet both the asthetic requirements and keep wind noise to a minimum.

The curves on the rear posts and the roof edge will mirror the round shape of the raer tub on the Seven. I have positioned the B post at about the same point as the role bar to maintain the proportions of the Seven with the hard top on, and to give both larger doors and better visibility. The roof spoiler was added to give a little extra downforce to the rear wheels and it also broke up the shape of the roof making it look less bulky. A major concern is the size of both the rear and front post which need to be kept as small as posible for visibilty and also be strong enough.

The form will be a composite/fibre glass skin over a tubuler frame for strength. The rear and side screens will most likely be polycarbon I have found a company that makes heated rear screen elements for classic cars although these are a bit thicker than that found in normal windows. Once I have the shape mocked up I will try to source glass from existing vehicles. I am trying to find a siutable front screen with a good curve to it and a friend is finding out for me about altering (cutting) a screen for the purpose. If anyone know if this is possible and a place that does it, it would help. The current design uses the traditional flat screen but the angles of the side pillarsand roof line disguise it a bit.

There are quite a few practical issues that need to be worked out but nothing that can't be solved. I'm lucky though, cos the big car manufacturers have allready solved most of my issues for me. I just got to look hard :blink: The mocking up of the shape will be quite easy so I'm not to worrried about that part of it. I have pads of scriblings to work from so I've just got to keep plugin away at it. As for making it to suit each make of Seven, once the post profiles are set to create the seals and shuts neccesary it will be more a matter of adjusting widths and heights. Or at least I'm hoping so :huh:

Oops missed one.

The doors will seal onto the side of the car using reguler door rubber, you know the sort of thing most hatchbacks use on their boots/tailgate. It will have a door latch, when the hard top is removed this can be removed and a padded arm rest style thing put inplace to cover the holes where the latch plate will attach.

As for cost I have no idea it will mainly depend on the materials and labour involved. Once the prototype is built and refined I'll have a better idea.

Hope that covers everything.

Looks good and I would be interested in one for my 2B if it would allow me to use it as everyday transport. Just a thought on the doors have you seen the ones that were used on the Carcraft Cyclone as they would make getting in and out much easier and could probably be stored in the car when removed.

It was a Sevenesque motor with a fixed front and rear screen. Instead of a fixed roof there was a fixed central bar (MR2 T-Bar style) which the doors hinged from. The doors also hinged at the corner where their "roof" portion met the door proper. When they opened they went straight up and folded in half to create a flattish panel sticking straight up in the middle.

I've just re-read this and am hoping like the proverbial that someone will provide a picture coz I'm now confused and I've seen em :blink: . There was a Cyclone in the club area at Donnington - whose was it (some relative of Mr Sheens from memory?) does someone have a pic?.

The reason behind this is also that maybe the central bar could be made removeable because otherwise I wouldn't be able to open the bonnet with the roof on.

Iain

Found some!

post-10-1086196802.jpg

Guest Troy Halliday
The reason behind this is also that maybe the central bar could be made removeable because otherwise I wouldn't be able to open the bonnet with the roof on.

Why can't you open the bonnet with the roof on? :huh:

I did look at this as an option so that the roof could be used as a targa top aswell, but thought I'd put that idea to one side until I've made the first prototype. I couldn't quite work out how to get it to seal against the body properly.

I also tried a version with a similar style to the roof on the Cyclone and MR2 with a flat rear screen and a pillar style. It was hideous! I mean really bad. I couldn't hit the delete Key quick enough.

Guest Andybarbet

I think Iain must have the alligator bonnet - so if the hardtop was attached to the windscreen - it wont open ??

(what am i doing up this early ??????????)

I think Iain must have the alligator bonnet - so if the hardtop was attached to the windscreen - it wont open ??

Surely mod number 1 is to cut th4e croc then.

Ant

Yes guys I have an alligator bonnet. I haven't done it quite the way RHE suggested but it's similar and so the screen moves when the bonnet is opened. I quite like the system (modified like mine) as it makes life quite a bit easier in and around the engine bay so I don't really want to go the fixed scuttle route. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to do without then as a removeable centre section of some sort would be the only real solution if I want to keep the alligator.

Iain

Guest timswait

I've got to admit that drawing looks pretty sweet, what did you do it on? I like the look of the dash layout too.

If you do find a way of fitting a curved screen then please tell, it's something I've been thinking of for a while, eyeing up any potential prodution cars for suitable shaped screens. I'm not sure about how easy it would be to find someone to cut laminated glass, probably not the job for the average glazier. The cyclone doors don't really make entry any easier by the looks of them. True gull wings probably would because some of the roof would open with them. Good luck with it, i'd be very interested to see the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jwaterman

I have to say that i have driven my car with the hood on in most rain types! The worst was while leaving Austria on way to Italy. The heavens opened good and proper! The road was about 2inches deep and the rain was not drops it was stair rods! The only leak and a bad one at that was at top of windsreen (the usual one) it only leaked when driving! Nothing caming at bottom of sidescreens as i had fitted a thin rubber seal and a second securing tab in middle of screen.

This year went to stonleigh and found some small D section rubber which was self adhesive on flat side. I cut to length and stuck to hood just back from fasteners, this takes up the gap between hoon and frame which gets worse as the car is accelerates. I have driven it in some heavy rain since and have not had a leak i think just one drip got through, having looked at it though i think it came in through the glass / frame seal.

With regard getting in and out no probs with that at 6ft,

Left foot in and on the cross bar,

Squat down, Bum and left arm in, support weight on tunnel,

Right leg in, Once in drop bum into seat, at same time move legs down to pedals.

Easy

With regard to the Hard Top, Very good idea, But there's a lot of work involved between the initial concept of the idea to finished product! Theres alot of re work in the building as with all self design progects, Good Luck Though, be good in the end. Not sure if i am interested Yet.

John