Cams! Hell

Guest neal@cmtelecom.info

Hi Guys and Girls

I’m in a bit of a muddle as to which cam I should buy, Newman Piper or Kent I’m hearing different stories about all three with lots of people suggesting that Newman are better. I’m running a 2.0 Pinto with a stage 3 head twin 40's with maybe a change to throttle bodies at some point this will be used for road use with track days thrown in for a bit of fun.

there are so many to choose from I just don’t know what to go for and wanted to get some feedback from you and what others are running

I like the sound of the FR33 and Piper285 but the Newman PH4.5 looks good too :unsure:

Hi, I have a piper 285 in a flowed injection head, I think it is pretty good, it was a bit lumpy on a DGAS but very smooth on bike carbs, so smooth I think I could have gone for the next one up. I don't know if that helps you though!

Thanks peter

the 285 was my first choice but then heard some horror stories about it chewing up the head if it was not run in right and problems with followers.

have you had yours for long

Guest old_timbo

I've got a Piper 285. Came in a good quality kit including spray bar, springs and followers. Replaced a std. cam, no mods required. Fitted to a flowed injection head with a single downdraft weber on a flowed manifold. Did 148bhp on the Dyno, but I'm sceptical of the reading. Ticks over fine with a lightened flywheel. Still OK to drive in stop / start traffic. Think in retrospect I could have gone hotter, but more lift would probably require head mods. Did require running in (20 mins at no less than 2500rpm IIRC) but all after market cams do.

Tim

Guest tommy holly

2.0 pinto 205 with newman stage 4 padded followers zx6 carbs vernier pulley 150 engine 125 at the wheels pulls clean up to 6200, a bit tappity cos of the followers, but very pleased

Guest vacinc

have had both fitted, 285 and fr34 id say for the road the kent is a better cam, but still a small bit of OFF cam up to 3000rpm, (but not much )

thanks for replies have gone with the FR33 but have just discovered that I had the RL32 in there before know wonder it was lumpy.

she started for the first time last night after the long rebuild what a sound to be heard! :)