Wiper Problem

Guest AWhite

I have a problem with my wipers. When I switch the wipers off, they stay wherever they were when the wipers were switched off (don't park) . If I put them in intermittent mode they park ok.

I found this info on SVC site:

It is important that you use a correct wiper 2-speed switch. The reason for this is that when the switch is in the off position with the ignition switched on there is one connection which becomes live. This operates the parking position. If you use a non-live switch then the wipers would stop whenever the switch was switched off.

I have the mini wiper system. Does anybody know what the above means?

NOTE: I didn't install the wipers so not quite sure how they work. Is it just a simple matter of giving the wiper switch power when the ignition is on?

Thanks guys,

Andy

Andy,

Here is the diagram of the mini wiper motor.

When the wipers are turned off the 12v live through pin 4 (orange/green) goes through pin 2 (brown/green) to the wiper switch, which when in the off position gives power to the wiper motor via pin 5 (red/green) until the cam on the drive gear hits the park cam switch in the wiper motor disconnecting the 12v supply.

Hope this makes sense.

Also check for bad contacts in the switch and wiper park contacts.

Les

ps. diagram and wire colours are on my web site.

Thanks for the diagram Les.

So what is the problem, is it wired up wrong?

Problem:

The wipers won't park when i turn them off, only when I put them on intermittent wipe.

I looks like the wipers are loosing the power to park themselves when I switch them off with the stalk.

Thanks again,

Andy

Guest TerryBarry

The Mini wiper motor is notorious for the park switch playing up after some years of use.

However if the intermittent is working I would assume that this is OK and check that 12v is being supplied to the unit to allow the self park to operate.

(see Les W's diagram)

Terry

Guest paul mercer

was going to attach pic as well, but file is too big and can't reduce it on my works archaic pc. If you want me to send the whole doc to you as an attachment, e-mail me at pmercer@ford.com.

Paul