Removing Steering Wheel Boss

Guest ScottG

Guest ScottG

Morning all.

I have purchased a tasty looking D type wheel but require to change the boss on mine as its a 102mm PCD and not the 70mm as required by the new wheel.

This is what I am left with when I remove the horn, I cannot get access to the three bolts in to remove them but should the complete unit remove?

My mate suggested "rugging" but I have tried that with no sucess, perhaps I am not "rugging" enough.

Failing that would a set of pullers work or is that a bit extreme?

Perhaps there is some secret that I dont know about to remove it?

img0402kn.jpg

img0403ua.jpg

I'm pretty certain you just need to undo the nyloc nut in the middle and the whole lot will pull off the steering column, depending on how long and how tightly its been put on you may need to persuade it to move a little to get it off - puller or gentle taps.

Guest peter2b2002

As Steve says undo the big nut in the middle of the wheel hub and give the wheel hefty thumps from behind, that should break the taper

peter2b

Pull the big nyloc off and then put it back on a couple of threads. It's a two part boss and the three nuts/bolts just hold the two parts together so leave them alone as you will need to replace the whole boss. The ignition lock engages with the boss so you'll need to make sure the key is in the ignition and has released the lock. Then push, pull, bash from behind or apply a puller to release the wheel.

The reason for putting the nyloc back on is that when it finally lets go it will inevitably be when you are sat in front of it pulling it towards your face and as hilarious as it is to the rest of us a broken nose is no fun. One of the Mini club members recently did exactly this and was not impressed when his wife initially gave him stick for bleeding on her carpet and then collapsed laughing when she found out how he had done it.

Iain

Guest ScottG

Yeah I put the nut back on a bit, I could see a potential incidient literally staring me in the face.

I did have the steering lock on at the time, perhaps that was all that was holding it as it was MAJOR tight. I will ensure that is off tonight and give it a go again.

cheers

Depending on how your steering shaft is put together I would suggest the use of a puller rather than bashing the wheel, you might find things end up moving that are not meant to :unknw:

Cheers

Tony.R

Guest mower man

You need to get in touch with Mr Percy Verance the kit car owners best friend as others have said loosen the centre nut ,sit in the driving pos grasp the wheel at opposite sides and pull with left push with right alternatly it may release immeadeatly or the above named gent may have to be used but it WILL come off this procedure has NEVER failed me in 40 +years but Mr V has to be used quite a lot HTH mower man :crazy: :good: :clapping:

Guest Botbuilder

Remove the nylock nut. Use a three legged puller. Make sure the ignition is in the ON position to disengage the steering lock. Mine was exactly the same, those bosses can really take some pulling occaisionally.