Brake Upgrade

Guest ollie chapman

Guest ollie chapman

Hi,

Just managed to get hold of a 2.0 zetec. Very excited to get it in but also need to consider a brake upgrade.

Budget is a concern but please could I have some advice on what to fit?

I have heard that it is possible to use the 4x4 Sierra brakes. Has anyone done this, and could possibly offer me some advice?

Will this option be compatible with the standard Sierra brakes that I am running at the moment?

Cheers!

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Ollie,

I am still building but have opted for the rear disc conversion from GBS with vented rear discs, calipers, pads and adapter spacer. On the fronts I have the 260mm disc option which I believe comes from the XR4X4I

I would suggest speaking with Richard at GBS for advice and pricing (my front discs, pads and calipers were only £150)

Cheers

John

Guest ollie chapman

Hi John,

I have read somewhere that by upgrading the rear brakes and not the front can unbalance the braking bias. Do you think this would be true in my case?

Sounds like £150 is a good deal. Will deff give him a call.

Cheers

Guest gixerboy600

Hi John,

I have read somewhere that by upgrading the rear brakes and not the front can unbalance the braking bias. Do you think this would be true in my case?

Sounds like £150 is a good deal. Will deff give him a call.

Cheers

Ollie,

Not sure about it unbalancing the brake bias?? But regardless of weight I personally would like to be able to stop nearly as quick as I can go!!

Best person to ask is Richard at GBS

Cheers

John

Guest ollie chapman

Hi John,

I think the point that was made about upgrading the rear was that if the back starts locking up this could be like pulling the handbrake on, causing the obvious results. However I am sure that if the front were upgraded too there would be no problem.

Cheers.

Guest gixerboy600

Hi John,

I think the point that was made about upgrading the rear was that if the back starts locking up this could be like pulling the handbrake on, causing the obvious results. However I am sure that if the front were upgraded too there would be no problem.

Cheers.

Hi Ollie,

Makes sense to me!!!!

Cheers

John

Hi,

think i'd just try the brakes you have if they are setup and working well. sure the 2ltr zetec is a bigger engine but i doubt they used much bigger brakes on the mondeo and that was over 1/2 ton heavier.

Its an easy retro fit at a later date.

just a thought

hth