Diff Ratios

Guest Griff

Guest Griff

I dont know as yet which ratio I have, The donor car was a 1995 Sierra 2.0l ghia.

The engine has been modified and is producing 130bhp at the wheels. I feel that acceleration could do with a little help from a change in ratios.

Any thoughts welcome!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paul mercer

if you've still got the original vin plate it will tell you in a coded form whqt the diff ratio is.

There is also a tag on the diff that will tell you in coded form what the ratio is.

Maybe the haynes manual will tell you the diff ratio if you know the model, year and engine?

Sorry i don't know how to decode the vin plate. Haynes?

Yes, but it also means that you have to change gear earlier!

I honestly don't know why you're chasing 'better acceleration' ??

Providing that you're engine is running correctly, you've got a car that will 'see off' the reversed headgear Nova types, but won't beat the bike engined 7's, or any other 7 type that is either lighter, or has a 'better' (or bigger) engine.

You'll have to go some to even think about keeping up with the Cateringvans, Westies etc. on the track, The Hood just isn't a track car (Tim will confirm that I'm sure, although he does OK with Bob, he just gets in peoples way - his words!)

What you should be looking for, is good enough acceleration, coupled with drivability, cruises nicely at around 70 - 85mph, decent MPG, (20 mpg(+less) just isn't acceptable IMHO!) and a car that you can use, and I mean for pleasurable drives out, not balls out blasting up & down the local high street!

My 2p worth, sermon over.

Yes, but if that's why you've bought a Hood, then you've made a mistake!

I've upset a few 'Max Power' types myself (and they don't half get *bleep* off when they see that it's a BOFB that *bleep* all over their pride & joy!

(BOFB = Big, Old, Fat, B.....d)

Guest alan rowe

good for you and i've put one or two pretty Lotus boys noses out (very enjoyable) and thats from this BOFB - maybe we should set up a BOFB club

and when i blast them they hear me in the next village

Guest chris brown

Yes YOU can Alan but we don't all have V8 power, yes yours is super quick I should know having tried to keep up with you. But even the old pinto beats most.

Chris

Guest landrovereditor

Interesting stuff.

I bought my Hood in October, built, but needing a few bits doing.

I drove it for the first time last weekend. once I got used to the steering I was fun to drive. It has a Ford 1.8 engine CVH, 185/65/14 wheels. Does not seem very quick, off the mark, not compared to my Ducati, I'm to old for bikes now so sold the bike and bought the car. Top speed: 90mph showing on speedo, 86mph on my GPS. Is this about right?

Sliding thing suspension 320lbs (green) coils bangs like hell over bumpy roads, corners well in the dry but wants to go straight on in the wet.

Is this your average Hood or should I expect more.:gdit:

Do'nt sound to clever

I'd expect more than 86 mph!!!! or speedo 90,I assume you are changing up

up from 3rd to 4thto 5th,as I would expect 80+ in 3rd!!!!!!

perhaps you should consider putting a diesel engine in

better performance,better low down torque,better fuel economy,

Only joking,

Seriously I'd get the car checked over.

Cheers Ian

It sounds a bit 'off' you should top 100mph.That could be one reason that no-one fits the CVH engine.

The slidding pillar suspension is 'adequate' but the car is transformed if the double wishbone setup is fitted. Check this out.

Ritzlers Dad [RS Jigtec] does the whole package either fit it yourself, or they'll fit it for you.

Then again, they aren't made for rough roads.

Check the tracking, either parrallel, or toe in slightly.

You aren't seriously thinking that any car will be as fast as the red Italian clutch rattler you've had?

PS. John, put your location in your profile, you might get a ride in someone elses then to compare. (& join the club)