Electronic Speedo

the_gambler

Hi, I bought this electronic Speedo off Ebay, but I don't know the wiring connection. Does anyone know what car its from ? The connector is seven pins, but four are used on warning lights( indicators etc ) the remaining three are coloured Black, Green, and Yellow. I contacted Speedy Cables and they have sent me a wiring colour coding, but their colours don't match the ones on this guage. I have attached a picture ( I think) of the back of the guage. Thanks in advance for any help.

post-3164-090134700 1279487047_thumb.jpg

A picture of the face of the gauge might be more identifiable. Manufacturers name should be on there. Colours look like British Standard 1983

Nigel

I think its a Smiths guage, but there is no manufacturer name on it, just a number ES 1100-02 and MADE IN UK. Any idea what car its from ? Colin.post-3164-069158900 1279492277_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Jag XJ6 one to me. Indicator warning lights are in the speedo and the rev-counter so you've just got the right hand indicator light and one of the other warning lights in there.

From memory it's a fairly crude way of doing a leccy speedo - it's actually a cable speedo with a motor on the rear that is spun at a varying speed to make the gauge work. They might have gone to a stepper motor on the later ones in which case you are short of a bit of logic to make it work.

I'd be interested to see what it says on the rear of the round bit on the back (the red and silver? sticker). Something like ELREMCO.... Might gove some clues.

Iain

Quick google finds this which at least talks about the correct colour wires. I imagine you could find a jag gearbox transducer, but no clue how to get it to read from a type 9. Find another speedo?

On a Series III XJ6, the speedomoeter transducer is on the right side of the transmission, towards the rear, with two wires (one green, one yellow). Speedometer problems are almost always due to transducer failure although sometimes the speedometer itself will be faulty.

This is a pretty easy circuit to test if you have a voltmeter. Green wire to the transducer should have 12V with key on (check fuse #4, too.) Also, the green wire at back of speedo should have 12V with key on. Black wire from speedo should be grounded (ground point G14 behind speedo). If all of these check good then you can test the transducer for output voltage.

General concensus is that the transducer produces a square wave form AC output. So, with your voltmeter set to AC and the igniton key "on", spinning the transducer cable (a drill motor would be nice for this) should produce some sort of a reading from the yellow wire. (Of course, checking the wave form would require an osciliscope so it's not easy to check the quality of the output.)

If no output at all you've got a dead transducer. If you do have output but still the speedo is inoperative then you've got a dead speedo or an open circuit between transducer and the speedo.

Nigel

Looks like a Jag XJ6 one to me. Indicator warning lights are in the speedo and the rev-counter so you've just got the right hand indicator light and one of the other warning lights in there.

From memory it's a fairly crude way of doing a leccy speedo - it's actually a cable speedo with a motor on the rear that is spun at a varying speed to make the gauge work. They might have gone to a stepper motor on the later ones in which case you are short of a bit of logic to make it work.

I'd be interested to see what it says on the rear of the round bit on the back (the red and silver? sticker). Something like ELREMCO.... Might gove some clues.

Iain

Hi Iain, please see attachment. Colinpost-3164-039044700 1279563505_thumb.jpg