Floor Mount Pedal Boxes.

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

I am looking to fit a new pedal box as the sierra one is likely to foul the bike carbs, and was thinking of the floor mounted ones.

Has anyone used them, and what space do you need in the footwell? Sitting comfortably with a slight bend in my legs, there is probably about 10 inches of floor space from my heels to the bulkhead. Would this be enough?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Darren

Edit: If anyone has used the sierra pedal box without the servo and have photo's of the installation, can you post them or point me in the direction of where you have them so I can get some ideas please? I have just seen the floor mount prices and no way am I paying £400

I am looking to fit a new pedal box as the sierra one is likely to foul the bike carbs, and was thinking of the floor mounted ones.

Has anyone used them, and what space do you need in the footwell? Sitting comfortably with a slight bend in my legs, there is probably about 10 inches of floor space from my heels to the bulkhead. Would this be enough?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren

I fitted a floor mounted pedal box in my 2B Plus and did encounter a few problems, take a look on my web site www.johnskitcar.com look in the section 'The build' and then brakes. Also be aware if fitting the master cylinder at that level you wont be able to top up the reservoir, an IVA failure waiting to happen. Hopefully my web site will explain a little and may just help.

Cheers John

Guest The Modfather

Hi Darren

I fitted a floor mounted pedal box in my 2B Plus and did encounter a few problems, take a look on my web site www.johnskitcar.com look in the section 'The build' and then brakes. Also be aware if fitting the master cylinder at that level you wont be able to top up the reservoir, an IVA failure waiting to happen. Hopefully my web site will explain a little and may just help.

Cheers John

Thanks John.

I'm already SVA/IVA passed so thats not a problem. Filling up the reservoir will be a problem that I am aware of, and was ready to accept that, but not the price, so it looks like I will need to use the old sierra pedal box again. Just worried about the clearance on the bike carbs.

Thanks again John.

Darren

the zero pedal box from GBS is about £60 and moves the master cylinder inboard above the steering column, will require a bit of re-engineering to fit looking at your photos.

Alternatively you can make your own, I made mine for the red top install, it has kept the original sierra clutch set up and moved the MC inboard using a modified sierra pedal.

Sure there are some pics in my garage, or on a nother thread somewhere

Guest The Modfather

Hi Steve.

I just looked at your photo, thats very neat! How did you get the master cylinder to push when the original sierra one is a pull?

Darren

welded a plate flat on top of the sierra pedal, then another going vertically up from this to fix the MC push rod to, because its above the pivot/fulcrum it works in the opposite direction - simples :D

The box is simple enough to make, just some 3mm steel and a bit of welding, I did change to a westfield MC, about £80 new, but others have used the fiesta one with good results on the zero pedals.

If you're going to go servo-less you need a good pedal ratio, everything to be at 90 degrees when at full effort and mintex 1144 pads, once you're used to it you'll love it.

Need to know more give me a call, numbers in the mags etc

Guest The Modfather

Thanks Steve.

Just been over to see Graham B and he has shown me an old sierra pedal box, and I was wrong. The original is a push underneath the pivot point (fulcrum) and by putting the MC cockpit side and above the fulcrum keeps it still pushing. I will get some 3mm bar and will set about it. I want to do the pedal box before final fitting of the engine (first fit hopefully this weekend!) so that I have full access once the pinto is out. I will also get some angle to stiffen the fabrication.

I may need to keep pestering you as this is my first attempt, so hope you don't mind? Graham B says that you are very knowledgeable with this sort of thing :)

Darren

You can get a nice floor pedal box with resoviours, 0.7 and 0.75 cylinders, balance bar and dash bias adjustment for about £200. I will dig out the details if you like.

There are a few little adjustments I made for heel n toeing but generally they're pretty good and a 1/3 of the price of some.