Tan Hill 2010

Guest Ian Marr

Guest Ian Marr

Tan Hill weekend is just around the corner (Sat 31st July) and it would be good to get a feel for numbers etc.

Plan is to start the weekend off with a brewery trip in Masham. As Masham is the beer-belly of God's Country we have a choice of breweries :drinks:

Options for the Sat morning are;

Black Sheep 11.30am or 12.30pm - the charge for the tour is £5.95 for adults - includes the hour long tour & either a half of ale, soft drink or tea/coffee, if there are 15 or more people in the party then the group rate is £5.00 per person. www.blacksheepbrewery.com

Theakston's 11am & 12noon Adults: £5.75 Price include a pint sample or soft drink www.theakstons.co.uk

Theakston's is a much older traditional building and also uses oak barrels and has a resident cooper - while Black Sheep has adapted an old malt roasting building. Due to commercial 'twists' the two breweries are owned by different parts of the Theakston family

I will need to book so choices and numbers please asap

When we know what we are doing I'll look to pull an interesting route together up to Tan Hill.

Ian

Guest Ian Marr

A red ST with attitude - so unfortunate :blush: I assume it comes with built in road rage :vava:

I'm away this weekend and think you said it was due an MOT so not sure if able to get things sorted in time - could be fun though if I do.

Guest Ian Marr

Tim,

Boring route is A66, A1, A684.

But try A66 east until you see the Kirby Hill signs off right and follow your nose through Kirby Hill, on to Richmond, then Catterick Garrison (not village) - you will want the A6136. Keep going straight through the garrison- straight over several roundabouts- then past Scotton (you know you are on the right road when you go over a narrowish bridge and then a rollercoaster!) after a mile or so the road becomes a tank road wide and fast but still a wee bit sharp at times (warning - we get a few callouts here!) follow this to the crossroads just outside Patrick Brompton. Don't go into PB but straight across and straight through Newton-le-Willows (under the railway bridge and keep right) - then follow your nose again to see you pass Halfpenny Houses and onto Masham.

All,

I suggest we all meet/park up in Masham Market Place. Usually plenty of parking (honesty box - good local income - be kind :angel: )

I'll try and book the 11am slot for T&R Theakstons (so I suggest 10.15 to 10.30am at the Market Cross. I'll not be wearing a red rose :give_rose:

I'll provisionally book 8 places at the moment - but please confirm numbers.

Anybody fancy bacon butties at 9am in Masham? If so I'll talk kindly to my ma n pa and get the aga stoked up.

I'll have a think of a route up to Tan Hill. I did trip to Settle the other day and had forgotten how good the roads are :ph34r: - Just need to see if it is do-able.

Guest Colin

Hi Ian , well if the butties are on the go I will be there at 9, also put me down for the brewery trip, not sure if I can make Tan Hill, as I have to go to a wedding bash on Sunday.

Cheers.

Colin

Hi Ian,

Can you put Me and Jean down for a trip around the brewery. Has anyone warned The Tan Hill that lots of starving Hoodies will be arriving for an evening meal? The Landlady can get a bit nasty.

Guest Ian Marr

Should be okay for parking as market usually only takes up one side and we are meeting fairly early.

I've not spoken to Tan Hill - has anyone else?