2.0 Blacktop Zetec Setup Advice

Guest AndyJW

Guest AndyJW

Hi guys and girls,

I ahve a 2.0 zetec black top. Can some one help with what I actually need to make it runs smooth and also what will be iva compatible. Currently have complete engine although do not have inlet or wiring. Want to know what I now need to get it running right. Bike carbs? Bike throttle bodies? Megajolt or megasquirt etc etc . I am in the process of putting engine back together after strip down and clean and would like to see/hear what people have done to get it through IVA etc.

Many thanks

andy

You need a ecu and inlet injection or bike carb. + an alternator & mount

an off the shelf system is Webber Alfa @ £1700 complete with fuel reg pump etc

Emerald about £1500 + rolling road

Omex 600 from £900- £1600 LINK 1Race line link

mega squirt £ 300 - _£600 + carbs / TB + rolling road so about £1000 if TB

Hope this helps

Can be done cheaper if you make your owne Mega squirt and loom Up

Stephen

Guest FASTdan

Megajolt and bike carbs for simplicity and good reliable performance.

MJ = £300 (thats a built unit with EDIS and new coilpack, all from triggerwheels)

Bike Carbs = £50-100

Bike carb Manifold + fitting kit = £150

That'll get you up and running 80%, then a rolling road tune to maximise the set up.

Guest mcramsay

if you have a blacktop zetec then you could have yourself a really nice set up if you spend a bit of money. and from what ive gathered its more than worth it. ive got a blacktop and ive went down the emerald and jenvey route. heres my train of thought..

i wanted to go injection, no doubts about that purely for the tuning advantages and reliability. i didnt see bike carbs as a viable option as ive heard so many horror stories of people spending hundreds at rolling road sessions trying to get the engine to run propperly with them. it the correct jet sizes and all this malarky. remember a bike will rev much higher than a car engine. thus if you use them on a car engine you will never get the best fuel air mixture. plus finding an inlet manifold (which actually doesnt restrict and hinder the air flow) is pretty hard. you can buy professional manifolds but they are expensive for what you are ultimatley getting.

i went with jenvey throttle bodies and an emerald ECU. it was a fun set up to do, and it was pretty easy and theres loads of help. in totall your looking around the £1600 mark for the lot. that gets you the ECU, throttle bodies, air trumpets, fuel rail, throttle position sensor, air filter and housing. in addition to that you will need a fuel pressure regulator which is around 20 quid. the bonus with the Emeral ECU and jenvey throttle bodies are that they are designed for the zetec engine. The emerald ecu just plugs into the sensors on the engine no faffing around. and the jenveys just bolt on. and when you come to get it tuned you can go see dave walker at emerald (who is a tuning god) and he can plug his laptop in and map the car in next to no time. yes throtle bodies are expensive but it gives you the best base to start from if you want to get top power from the lump.

Guest Mick C

hello's mate, im new to this board but have just got a 2B there, im into old

ford's in a big way and Zetec them all pretty cheap, all you need is a set of

R1 bike carb's, R1 fuel pump as has the shut off built in when up to pressure.

inlet side buy an inlet plate off e-bay, here's the good bit to beat a dear ECU..

Get your self to the scrap yard and get an ESC spark system or i can point you in the

direction of a guy who has them for sale £50 on your door, it's 3 wire's to get it to work

a pos to the batt, earth to batt and an ign live, use's crank sen's, water temp sen's and air

temp, with a vacum pipe tee'd into your inlet to give advance and retard on the spark system.

Give the jets a drill out in the carb's, fit it together turn key and it will go.

Other option is standard EFi set up still only 3 wire's if you get an early enough ECU

with out the PAT's system

Have also had the Full Weberalpha platinum kit and in no way does this set up compare, this set up 140ish, weber 179bhp. A big diffrence to be had when you spend the money

if you need any help with it just ask, i will need help with my kit for def :good:

Edited by Mick C

Guest Mick C

you can still do it with no CAT! you need to turn Fuel pressure down and adjust the carb's

and that will get you around it, it will basicly be running on fresh air, and just to

be sure take to a local M.O.T. station for a check before hand

Guest Mick C

and just for you Andy builder. as i have said carb's are no way a match for the like's

of the Webberalpha platinum kit used to get 179bhp, 30mpg. you ask about bits for fitting the engine, plenty place's to get bit's from! use the internet :good: and to help you

on the one for the carb jetting if unsure dont do! send to the pro's and a wee help

for those that want to try them self's as JET's are cheap to buy ;) just paste this into google

http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/resources/totalvauxhall/TOV64.tech60697.pdf

Guest mower man

May not be of any importance but I have seen an ad in PracticalPerformance Car mag for a manifold to fit a Weber 32/36 to Zetec engines, see usher motorsport.co.uk or call 01485 576266 all usual disclaimers I have no connection with the co regards mowerman :unknw: :crazy: