Wiring Connectors

Guest steve8274

I've just replaced the loom on the GTM and since I wa mating to the tails on Triumph/Mini switch gear I used a fair number of connectors from here

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?cPath=94&page=2

The specific ones I used start at the end of that page. and into the first part of the next page. I've used Autosparks quite a few times and never had an issue. not sure if they stock plugs to match the Ford stuff though.

Polevolt do a lot of plugs to match the big manufacturers stuff.

The "special" crimp tool for the specific connectors I used costs around £8 and makes a far better crimp than the more commonly seen insulated crimps that the majority of motor factors use. I also have a pro style ratchet crimping tool for those though which again makes a far better job of them which is far and away better than the crimp you can get from the pliers style ones.

Iain

Guest Peter Kelly

I know everyone rates soldered connections as the best, but why do NASA specify crimped connections on the Space Shuutle?

Apologies if I'm hijacking this thread.

When I was a lad, long ago.I was taught never to use solder on vehicles, soldered joints were liable to break due to vibration. NASA scientist must have gone to the same school.

Peter

I had to unpick my engine loom a month ago to trace a fault in the oil pressure gauge wiring. Soldered joint fatigued and failed. I use proper crimped connectors and ratchet to apply + heatshrink but used to add solder for extra safety/peace of mind/better contact/more durable/etc. All rubbish. No more solder on my wires. I'm with NASA from now on.

Nigel

post-21-081699400 1286312002_thumb.jpg

Depends on what you are crimping. That one is for the common crimps with the red, blue and yellow sleeves. I have a very similar one that I got from B&Q in a box with a load of connectors - it's a convenient box so I replenish the connectors as I use them. I find these OK for one-off connections but they can be a bit bulky if you have a lot of wires to connect in one place and if you ever need to disconnect them it's a faff pulling lots of connections apart and putting them back together in the right order.

The one Nigel has pictured is for non-insulated crimps that generally push into a multi-plug of some variety. Much better for areas where you might want to disconnect a sub-loom. As I mentioned these are what I have at the bottom of the steering column on my GTM so that I can disconnect three plugs and remove the column if necessary I've also used a weatherproof multi-plug on the wiring for the front lights so that when removing the front clam I only have one plug to disconnect. I don't have the ratchet version of the tool - I got one from www.vehicleproducts.co.uk (reference MP71) which does the job fine.

Iain