Columns

Guest WHEELNUT

Guest WHEELNUT

THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON HERE HAVING COLLECTED MY KIT ON THE 28TH OF FEBRUARY, IT PROBABLY WON'T BE THE LAST!!!!

MY DONOR IS A LATE SAPPHIRE GLX, CAN I USE THE ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN OR DO HAVE TO SOURCE A FIXED ONE? CAN ANYBODY PICK OUT ANY OTHER COMPONENTS I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO USE, DUE TO MY DONOR BEING A LATE CAR?

Guest Tim Norman

There is no need to SHOUT.

Welcome to the World of Hoodies. Are you going to join the "Club"? Email me direct if you can't find a membership form and I'll send you one direct.

Cheers

Tim

Guest Russler

If its the same as mine, you will have a black plastic lever on the left hand side of the column which gives you about an inch or two of movement up and down. I have only just remembered this because mine is in the fully up position all the time so I can fit my legs in. So to answer your question if yours matches this description then its fine. (mine was G-reg donor)

Guest paul mercer

My k reg donor had an adjustable column. It works fine. The only problem i had was the length. I had to cut a small section of fof the end. It wasn't a problem. Just make sure that throughout the length of adjustment, you still have a good mashing action between the inner and outer sleeve.

Was that last bit a really bad description. Can try again if needed to.

I think Richard advises to go with the non-adjustable column in the build vids, but I wanted to keep the adjustable one because it makes it much easier to get into the car and its a nice feature to have. Fit it if you can - the Robin Hood ethos has us all building our cars slightly differently and even modifying the kit parts accordingly.

Mine's a DOHC so it has a different chassis design to the normal Pinto based 2B (its supposed to be the same as the Super Spec chassis) but I managed to fit the adjustable column.

Try it out - you never know...