Tin Top Drive Shaft Help

Jamiep

hi, I've had a knocking noise on the front passenger side of the Picasso for a couple of weeks now which I thought was another broken spring. (had 2 already)

had the car jacked up and it appears to be the drive shaft moving in and out that's making the knocking noise.

does this sound like it's the cv joint that's gone?

the gaitors look fine.

any help appreciated.

Jamie.

Guest steveyb

hi, I've had a knocking noise on the front passenger side of the Picasso for a couple of weeks now which I thought was another broken spring. (had 2 already)

had the car jacked up and it appears to be the drive shaft moving in and out that's making the knocking noise.

does this sound like it's the cv joint that's gone?

the gaitors look fine.

any help appreciated.

Jamie.

Not familiar with the CVJs on a Picasso, but usually most ball type CVJs incorporate a circlip on the splined shaft where it fits into the ball cage splined hub of the CVJ, this then locates the shaft in a fixed position in a matching groove in the ball cage hub.

Sometimes there is a circlip holding both the inner and outer CVJs.

If the movement is really excessive, it may be that this circlip/s is/are either dis-engaged or perhaps damaged.

Have my doubts that this would make much noise, but:-

You may be able to feel either the shaft moving in the hub or the hub moving if you press you fingers into the CVJ and slide shaft back and fore, also try turning shaft to see if there is excessive rotational play.

If you can determine that it is just the shaft that is moving back and fore, try grabbing the shaft and forcibly pushing back into that CVJ ball cage hub to see if it will relocate the circlip in the groove

In some older cars, this excessive movement of the shaft out of the ball cage would sometimes cause complete loss of drive.

not really sure how much movement is excessive but it's defiantly moving in and out and knocks in both directions.. tried rotating the shaft and it seemed fine with no backlash but didn't try holding the hub to test for joint movement.

I think this shaft was changed last year when the ABS ring fell off so may be the circlip has come away.

Guest dinger

Hi Jamie,

Movement in and out is normal because as the suspesion travels up and down the distance between hub and gearbox changes,

best thing to do is to grab hold of the shaft and rotate it back and forth with the wheel on the floor, there should be no play whatsoever, if there is then this indicates a worn cv,

Is the clicking noise louder when on full lock moving slowly? this would indicate an outer cv worn,

if its a cv thats worn then there is no point changing just the cv, usually cheaper to change the whole shaft as this is the norm these days.

try "euro car parts" usually cheapest for french stuff

Hope that helps

Guest steveyb
I think this shaft was changed last year when the ABS ring fell off

If the ABS ring is integral to the outer shaft and a new outer shaft was fitted, I would think the CVJ hub and ball cage would also be new, of course the drive shaft itself (between inner and outer CVJs) and it's splines would presumably be the original.

I would call anything greater than about .5mm excessive at the outer CVJ, in most modern cars the inner CVJ joint usually allows for up and down variation by using a different type of CVJ - tripod type.

I have had a few CV joints go on the Galaxy over the years, usual signs are a clonk on accelerate/decelerate as the drive takes up or drops off then a very noticeable clonk clonk clonk when turning left or right.

I could tell which side but it was more difficult to identifying inner or outer