Bike Carbs

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi all, i am looking for set of bike carbs complete with manifold and linkage and throttle cable. All to fit onto 1800 pinto which has been converted back to running pionts. Thanks Neil.

Guest The Modfather

Why have points when running bike carbs? Seems a waste as the carbs will be too good for points system, and the points will restrict the possible new gains. Go megajolt. Buy the kit from Autosport Labs for like £50 and build it yourself. £180'ish if you buy it built from UK companies. Very easy to make, an evening of soldering and the instructions are very good.

There are quite a few ZX6R carbs on ebay at the mo, cheap too!

Guest Stuartl

Why have points when running bike carbs? Seems a waste as the carbs will be too good for points system, and the points will restrict the possible new gains. Go megajolt. Buy the kit from Autosport Labs for like £50 and build it yourself. £180'ish if you buy it built from UK companies. Very easy to make, an evening of soldering and the instructions are very good.

There are quite a few ZX6R carbs on ebay at the mo, cheap too!

Hi Daz could you give me details/link to the kit you bought please?!

Cheers

:D

At the risk of contradiction the dizzy will not change the top end power my bike carbs were set up on the orig dizzy with 108bhp power i then put on bestek electronic system with dizzy 12deg to 34 deg advance the max power was the same 108bhp the midrange is what changed... loads of torque now and the correct advance at high revs

there are instructions on here somewhere on how to modify a points dizzy, to make it more suitable

According to my dyno guy 99 honda fireblade carbs are the best for pintos

Guest The Modfather

What I mean by that is why go for bike carbs and the hassle of setting everything up, but remain on mechanical points which wear and are never at their optimum setting? Thus not getting the best from the set up. I cannot say about any possible BHP gains, but as Dan has found out, he has gained more torque and the car is running better as the advance is better controlled.

I just think that having spent nigh on £200 for bike carbs, inlet manifold, cables, gaskets etc, and yet you are still using 99pence worth of points? Pardon the non intended pun, but it's pointless.

Just my opinion, and having done this myself I definately wouldn't use points. Electronics don't wear, and remain set at the best possible setting.

Personally it's a no brainer, however, each to their own.

I,m total agreement daz i spent ££££ on bike carbs manifolds vernier etc it seemed silly not to spend out on the ignition @ £180 in my case for a pre mapped module and dizzy with only 12v+ and chassis earth to connect all in with dyno runs it came to near a grand with cams etc but now have a 150+bhp pinto that runs sweet as a nut is reliable and flys...

bike carbs are just the start if you want it right budget for dynos etc

Guest Stuartl

The crazy thing is that if I could get rid of the dreadful flatspot I currently have I would probably hold fire on the bike carbs I have bought and do more cosmetics for now with the money

Thanks Daz but I cannot get any info whatsoever from this page such as prices, kit contents p&p prices etc etc

Gents,

When I looked here for a kit they were saying the kit is no longer sold and they only provided fully built units at around £180, I have been looking for a kit for a while now without success.

You may have to bite the bullet, E-bay does occassionaly have second hand ones (last went for £96)

Good luck with the search,

Tom Hayden

Guest The Modfather

I wonder why they don't sell the kits anymore? Even so, I would still buy from them directly. $180 dollars is much cheaper than the £180+ asked for over here in the shops. When they sent mine there was very very little VAT added if any to be truthfull.

If you were even more resourcefull, you could get every component from electronics outlets and build it even cheaper than what the kit was being sold for. The "how to build" page on their website gives you the values of the parts, so it can be done. Stick it all in a metal box, hidden behind the dash where I imagine all will be placed, and who would know? The PCB i'd imagine can be bought if you stated that you had damaged yours, nudge nudge wink wink :rolleyes:

Hi Dan I am running a 32/36 DGAS and at low revs it is beyond rubbish

from the way you were talking i thought it would have been a 38dgas which are bad for flat spots, from my experiance 32/36 is quite a good carb and was allright when i had them in the past

sounds like a problem with your carb or dizzy perhaps, i,m no expert ! if you do go bike carbs they are well worth it! but only if done with dyno work. have a look at at mine if you are ever round these parts my car pulls hard from tickover to redline with no flatspots or dips in power best thing i ever did to my 2B..

Guest marsbar

Hi, try Trigger Wheels, they sell everything that you will need.

The megajolt ready made is £117.99, which is cheaper than a lot of others, but not as cheap as self assembly!

Link http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d28.html

Worth a look, I bought the full kit from them its brilliant, loads of torque, and I had been running a Aldon 104Fr Dizzy with Lumenition electronic ignition.

Cheers Steve