Brewing Beer "hoodie Style"

speedtripledan

Thought you might find this interesting, the hobby shares a lot of the values of being a "hoodie " all of the equipment is homemade and adapted to brew the beer, brewing on the cheap but producing fantastic beer.

Stage 1, IMG_0036.jpg

Mashing the grain you have to hold the grain at 66deg for 90mins to get the max sugar you can, the more sugar the stronger your beer or the less grain you need usually achieve 81% efficiency always looking to improve upon this.

Stage 2, IMG_0039.jpg

Batch sparging the grain after 90mins to wash all the sugar out of the grain this then creates your wort, next project is make a spinning water sprayer to fly sparge as this will provide better results by gentle trickling water over the grain slowly instead of flooding it. this can take up to 45 mins to run through 10gallons

Stage 3 the 1st runnings

IMG_0038.jpg

this is the wort as it runs off the grain in the sparging process (this is your beer almost)

Stage 4, IMG_0041.jpg

10gallons of wort in the boiler, you need to bring this to the boil and add hops then hold it at the boil for 90mins. this will get the flavor out of the hops, sterilize the beer and crate a hot break ( proteins are released which you then filter out )

once boiled you have to cool the boiling the wort down to 20deg as quick as poss i use a homemade coiling coil which you immerse in the wort 15mins before the end to sterilize it, then turn the cold tap on which feeds the coil this will drop the wort from 102deg to 20deg in about 15mins.

This creates a cold break more proteins released.

Its then a case of drain it into fermenters add yeast and wait 5 days

after approx 3 weeks this is what you got

IMG_0030.jpg

Theres a bit more to it but it is basically easy

cheap and tasty :drinks:

If anyone was ever interested in having ago you are more than welcome to come along on a brew day to see how its done and whats involved etc and try the finished product usually have 3 beers on tap

Oh WOW! :clapping:

You may be "notimpressed", but I am! :rolleyes:

Tried "brewing" (I jest) once with an awful kit, and, of course the result was awful! :spiteful:

I just happen to be reading your article and looking at the pictures whilst downing a half litre of disgusting wishy-washy continental canned "P", which claims to conform to something or other proclaimed in 1516 somewhere in Europe. :(

When I come over next week to collect the Zero, I shall attempt to quaff some decent ale.

I used to live in Essex and have worked in Suffolk, so had the fortune to be able to consume Ridley´s, Adnam´s, Tolly, Green King, and a few others. :vava:

And whilst in the West End, could meet up occasionally in the "Princess Louise" Holborn (Google it if you don´t know it!) but in the days before they only sold Sam´s. :p :D :D

Nostalgia again!!

Cheers! :drinks:

spent a night or 2 when i lived in essex 3sheets to the wind on ridleys greenking adnams and tolly.. have you seen the latest advert for hobgoblin beers it goes " whats the matter lager boys afraid you might taste something":spiteful: