Zero And Mx5 1.6 Lt Na Motor

Guest achtungbabi

Guest achtungbabi

Hi everyone,

Very much a newbie to the site and to the whole world of Kit Cars. But with that said, im looking hard at a Zero and here in Australia ( Melbourne) the main engines used in Clubman cars are Toyota's 4AGE and Duratec / Zeetec's.

Im wondering if any one has used a Mazda MX5 NA model as a donor car - Engine - Gearbox and ECU in a Zero? This is the 1.6 lt engine not the turbo 1.8 of the NB or the Duratec of the NC.

where there any problems you found?

any major modifcations needed to be made? cutting of hood etc?

Are the engines easy to mount? eg are pre fabricated engine mounts through GBS?

If there are any fellow Victorians on the site and have completed a Zero id be very interested in hearing from you! ( eg your engineer and the costs)

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and cheers from a down under clubbie lover!

I don't think anybody on here has done a mazda engine yet, I'm going to be fitting one to an older Robin Hood later on in the year, no off the shelf parts available so I'll be making my own engine and gearbox mountings as I go.

Some builders on the locost website have fitted them, as well as models from Westfield, Roadrunner and MNR.

From what I've seen of the engine it's not a big unit and should fit, even in a zero, without much hassle or having to chop the bonnet - but don't take that as gospel.

Guest achtungbabi

I don't think anybody on here has done a mazda engine yet, I'm going to be fitting one to an older Robin Hood later on in the year, no off the shelf parts available so I'll be making my own engine and gearbox mountings as I go.

Some builders on the locost website have fitted them, as well as models from Westfield, Roadrunner and MNR.

From what I've seen of the engine it's not a big unit and should fit, even in a zero, without much hassle or having to chop the bonnet - but don't take that as gospel.

Thanks steve,

Wishing someone has done this as it saves the messing around with converting gear boxes etc. and theoretically should be a 'plug and play' Would mountings be that hard to construct / machine?

Guest chris brown

If you are going to use the Mazda as the donor rather than just the engine then I would look at a kit which is designed for it. As the MX5 is shorter wheelbase than a standard 7 and would not be easy to alter due to the torque tube from gearbox to diff also the diff has a very different mounting when compared with the ford. I run a MX5 as my wet weather/winter car (I know its more skittish than the hood in the snow)

By going down the Mazda donor route you would end up with a lighter car and IMHO a better car where all parts (engine, g/box and diff) are matched ratios wise.

Guest achtungbabi

If you are going to use the Mazda as the donor rather than just the engine then I would look at a kit which is designed for it. As the MX5 is shorter wheelbase than a standard 7 and would not be easy to alter due to the torque tube from gearbox to diff also the diff has a very different mounting when compared with the ford. I run a MX5 as my wet weather/winter car (I know its more skittish than the hood in the snow)

By going down the Mazda donor route you would end up with a lighter car and IMHO a better car where all parts (engine, g/box and diff) are matched ratios wise.

Thanks Chris I would be using the MX5 as the Donor engine gear box and ECU not as the full donor, There is a kit of the Zero available here in Australia that includes all parts exclduing Engine, Box and ECU. hence thinking for a first time build it would be much easier unless there is a MX5 dedicated kit? could you recomend a kit - have thought as the Zero as an eay kit to start with. as all parts are part of the kit.

Thoughts?

Edited by achtungbabi

Guest achtungbabi

Don't MNR do an MX5 based kit?

Jason

Hi Jason,

Im in Melbourne Australia, unfortunately have not heard of MNR yet no of an Australian Distributor.

really would love to know if the MX5 could be used for the Donor Engine Etc without too much modification / fabrications. The other other i have is the 4AGE from a Corolla or a MR2.

Edited by achtungbabi

Guest achtungbabi

Why not give Richard at GBS a call/email and ask him what he thinks. He might be able to tweak the kit towards the MX5 donor, or provide custom mounts/brackets for bits. You never know he might already have the patterns/plans to do this, or he might not, but no harm in asking.

Thanks for the Suggestion it sounds logical !

And thanks for all the help everyone, Does anyone have Richards email address?

Guest achtungbabi

MNR make a MX5 based car and have an agent in Oz. Redback Motorsport.

Nigel

Hi nigel,

Thanks for the Info, unfortunately its not the look that im after, would prefer a full windscreen on the car for starters.

Inr eading a little more on the Clubbies i may have to go towards the Toyota 4AGE to meet emissions controls here in Australia. Is this an easier motor / gearbox to work with - from what ive read a RWD MR2 ( older) has this combination 4AGE / T50 as standard. and in RWD format.

Anyone had any experience with them into a Zero?

The MX5 engine and box should be straight forward enough and be able to meet emmisions limits, after all it's newer than a 4AGE from an old corrolla. Engine mountings I plan on using the original MX5 items through new rubbers to chassis plates/brackets, so not a lot of fabrication, gearbox is a little trickier as the mounting is on the side of the tail, but nothing that is hard to overcome. Then it's a one off propshaft to mate it to a triumph rear axle for me.

Most people fitting the 4AGE over here use the ford type 9 gearbox with a custom bellhousing from raw engineering to mate them together

i may have to go towards the Toyota 4AGE to meet emissions controls here in Australia. Is this an easier motor / gearbox to work with - from what ive read a RWD MR2 ( older) has this combination 4AGE / T50 as standard. and in RWD format.

The MR2 is mid engined so the engine sits transersely with the gearbox which is no good for the Zero. The 4AGE has been used in a 2B on a different gearbox (as mentioned) but not to my knowlege in a Zero which is smaller so you might get an idea from pictures about whether it will fit and maybe even some specifics but it won't be a simple drop in conversion.

You mentioned that people use Zetecs/Duratecs - why not stick with that route? These are fairly common in Zero's by the standards of any other engines and there is going to be far more specific knowlege to help you. The Japanese engines are pretty exotic in this type of car over here (getting less so though) so you are almost certainly going to be one of the first to do it and won't get much help from here (not because we don't want to help but because we simply don't know).

You are also a bit too far away for the usual Hoody trick of turning up on the doorstep and drinking all your coffee, eating all your biscuits and making suggestions.

Iain

Guest Ian & Carole

If you can find one, and that will be a feat in its self, the MK1 Corolla GTI was RWD. The MK2 went down the FWD route sadly, using the same engine as was fitted to the MK1 MR2s

The 4AGE engine is shorter in both hight and length, narrower than the Zetec and much lighter, but like Iain has said very little knowledge around about these great little engines.

You can now get a 20 valve version, but that is IIRC slightly bulkier around the head.

Fensport are the boys in the know with thewse things

http://www.fensport.co.uk/ContactUs.aspx

Not a cheap instal either as you have to get a new bell housing special clutch, different induction for carbs as the Toyota is injected and the standard induction is nearly as big as the engine its self.

DSC01077.jpg

Looks lost in the 2b chassis so should fit in a zero ??

HTHs