2b Pinto Radiator Positioning

Guest Tim.Waggett

Guest Tim.Waggett

Hi my first post on this site but undoubtedly not my last. I've arrived at the point of my first big decision, where to locate the radiator. It looks like I have three choices. Photo 1) vertically in front of the fan. This looks possible and seems to be the natural place for it but it sits very close to the fan and may restrict access to the engine for servicing. On the plus side it would make hoses relatively easy to fit. Photo 2) a steep angle so the front of the radiator is in front of the steering rack. Problem here seems to be that the hoses would be difficult to fit and the top of the radiator is lower than the top of the fan. Photo 3) Have it mounted forward of the cross-members but above the steering rack. This makes the bottom hose accessible but the top of the radiator is in line with the oil filler cap. Would that be too high?

Each solution will require me to make brackets so getting it right first time would be ideal.

Any advice gratefully received.

PS I seem to be only able to upload one small photo so if anyone can help I'll be happy to email the pictures. Thank you.

post-4619-0-66044400-1300027600_thumb.jpg

Hi Sam's Dad, Welcome to the Forum.

Most people with 2B's and the Coolman Rads opt to incline the rad.

Not ideal but sufficient cooling can be obtained with suitable cowling fabricated in front of the rad so that as much air as possible gets channelled to the rad.

Pictures tell a thousand words as they say. Take a look at my website. Here's a clicky.

All the best...

Guest Tim.Waggett

Hi Sam's Dad, Welcome to the Forum.

Most people with 2B's and the Coolman Rads opt to incline the rad.

Not ideal but sufficient cooling can be obtained with suitable cowling fabricated in front of the rad so that as much air as possible gets channelled to the rad.

Pictures tell a thousand words as they say. Take a look at my website. Here's a clicky.

All the best...

Thanks Grizzly, I've had a good look round your site before.

I want to keep the original fan just to make life easier but I can see enough in your pictures to know where to place the radiator and how high it can sit. The front of your car is a different design to my 2B but I get the idea. Thanks for your help.