Efi To Carbs

Guest sps137

Guest sps137

hi all, i'm struggling to get my 2ltr efi to start, i'm getting a spark but it just wont fire, it's been sitting for 3 yrs so it's quite possible the injectors are gummed up/knackered. I'd rather have carbs anyway, as i at least know how to set them up. how easy/expensive is the swap and can anyone tell me what other parts i will need to grab from a donor, plus can i get away with a manifold/distributer etc from a smaller engine and just fit new carbs of the right size.

cheers

simon

Guest ian luxford

sorry cant help one little bit with the technical stuff but have you read the threads on fuel going off? that might be a reason it isnt firing sure someone will be of more help soon though

Simon, ideally fit the early manifold, and a webber DGAV carb. The later manifold takes the more complicated? carbs that people seem to have problems with. You will need a pattern carb manifold gasket, it will just bolt on. You will need the earlier dizzy too, either the points one or preferably a hall effect one with the ignition module. Where abouts are you?

Peter.

Guest Battery Bill

Simon

I bet even if you had carbs fitted, after 3 years you would have problems starting your car. I hear what you say re setting up the carbs but the fuel injection should be easy enough to set up to give a reliable powerful setup :)

Guest Russler

I would say that if you do swap to a carb you are better off sticking with a setup from 2lt because the port sizes are different on the smaller engines. Make sure you have the correct sized gasket and as Peter says fit either the DGAV or the DGV,one is with automatic choke and one is with manual. They do seem to be getting harder to find and are commanding a fairly high price in my opinion on Ebay and the like so best to find one in a scrappy.

Guest sps137

hi all, cheers for the replies, it's got new fuel going through so that isn't the problem unless the old stuff has syruped inside the inj bodies. I know that i'd have the same probs with carbs after 3yrs, but at least with carbs i can just soak them in coke then blast them through with an airline. despite being (relatively) young, i just have an aversion to Fi set ups as i panic about them stranding me, esp as the loom i received with the car had been well butchered. One thing i forgot to ask was if i swap to carbs can i use the efi fuel pump still or will it overpressurise the float bowls?

simon

If you really want a carb setup then by all means go for it - others on here can (and probably will) help and advise, but if your only reason for swapping is because your engine won't start then I think you should reconsider. In standard form the EFi gives more power and better economy than a Sierra 2.0 carbed pinto. The only reason I can see for removing the EFi setup is if you fit race cams, have it bored out to 2.1, turbocharge it etc etc. Swapping to carbs now will mean a new fuel pump, different engine wiring loom, different dizzy and ignition box, different fuel filter, different fuel tank outlets, etc etc etc.

Regarding fault finding - do exactly the same as you would for a carb setup. Is the fuel getting into the cylinder? Are the plugs wet? Does the exhaust smell of unburnt fuel? Are the spark plugs sparking? Is the timing correct? If you want help diognosing the EFi problem then check out these questions and come back. We're here to help.

Ant

Guest chris brown

i agree with Ant stick with the EFI in many respects it is simpler than carbs and unless you are going for other cams there is nothing to be gained and economy will be down for no improvement in performance

Guest sps137

cheers ant and chris, i'll take your advice and persevere with the efi for the minute, will have a proper look at it again at the end of the week.

simon

Guest bloke

only just got mine started! so as ant says, fuel, spark, timing

i had the first few but me plug leads were out of order

are you sure your eec unit is ok? and wiring as wall chart?

hth?

Guest jimcastle

I have a full efi set up laying in my garage (including ecu and loom) from a 2.0l inj granada pinto that I have been rebuilding for a 38 dgas set up. It was a very good runner when i stripped it out from the grenada last year.

Happy to part with all the efi bits for spares if you want to attempt replacing parts (for a very small contribution to my rebuild) if that would help. Fuel pump is very rusty though.

I'm in Rochester Kent

Regards

Jim C

Guest sps137

hi chris, cheers for the mail, i tried responding directly but it kept throwing it back. My dads going to come over next week and give me a ahand but if we still have no joy i might take you up on the offer. thanks also jim, i'll see if i can narrow down the fault to any one component then maybe get back to you about buying your spares.

simon