Suspension Set Up

Thrashed

I am after a bit o help with some settings on the suspension for my pinto engined Zero.

With the shocks, how many clicks from far left have you got the gaz shocks.

How many exposed threads have you got on the spring bases fromt and rear

How and treads have you got showing on e top ball joint

How many treads have you got showing on the steering rack ends?

I know its a lot of questions but really appriciate the help. Feel so close to being finished and want to take it for a drive.

Thanks

Steve

Guest mower man

There are afew indeterminals there mate, the steering rack is poss the easiest, have the car tracked up ensuring to centralise the rack before adjusting any thing ,if the guy has a camber gauge get him to check camber you need 1 to 1.5 degs neg on both sides, if the readings are eaqual don't worry if the amount of thread isn't eaqual ,IIRC Gaz shocks have 28 clicks from full soft [fully out or as you say full left] to full hard pick a number say 8 and set the fronts eaqualy and same at the back but a little stiffer say 10 ,road test on a known road having recorded your settings adjust softer or harder depending how you feel it handles recording settings all the time ,this should find a setting that you prefer. As for threads on the shock body ,if the ride height is acceptable a variance is acceptable so long as the spring rates are eaqual,if not adjust it to give some thing like 4.5 to 5"under sump and a little higher at the back i.e. under the diff .It is neccesary to do the steering angles after ride height as hieght can alter them . I know this is a bitlong winded,and I hope this helps but get it right and you will have a sweet handling ,comfortable car ,get it wrong and you will probably want never to see it again as aways check 2times and you will not have to do it again :good: let me know how you get on mower man [mick]

Thanks Mick

Will do some measuring. I am totally new at suspension set ups. How do I measure the camber with normal tools. I have an iPhone that measures angles but just got no idea what to do. If any zero owners can answer the above that would get me started until I get it on the road and to a professional.

Does the car need to be on the ground or can I do this with it on axle stands?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Guest mower man

Thanks Mick

Will do some measuring. I am totally new at suspension set ups. How do I measure the camber with normal tools. I have an iPhone that measures angles but just got no idea what to do. If any zero owners can answer the above that would get me started until I get it on the road and to a professional.

Does the car need to be on the ground or can I do this with it on axle stands?

Thanks for any help

Steve

Hi Steve I'll try and guide you through a basic setup

1 the car needs to be on level ground with approx contents as if to be driven [driver weight can be put on the seat but it's not that important ]tyres at 18 psi

2 set the ride hieght as previously mentioned 4.5/5.0 inches under sump a little higer at the rear

3camber can be set with a straight edge and ruler and some calcs ,the top of the wheel should lean into the car approx 1.5 degrees ,this needs to be eaqual on both sides.

3 track really needs seting with a proper gauge but can be set close enough with agood eye to get you to the tyre shop whre it should be set to 1mm toe in overall

4 shocker settings set to a base line from full soft ,

say 8 clicks in from fullsoft @front 10 clicks @rear and repeated road test's over aknown road till it feels right this may take some time, don't try to do it all at once and always record settings!!!

5PATIENCE and recording settings is very important do things eaqualy and double check all fixings

I hope this helps you ,it is a bit daunting with out being hands on as you say you havent alot of experience so do things slowly and at any time you are not sure go back to your previous RECORDED settings or ask another question ,the only silly questions are the ones you DONTask regards mower man [mick ] no doubt there will be some disscusion on the above :good:

Thanks. Dinger has also given me some tips which are very similar. Going to have a play over the next few days but sounds easy enough ( famous last works)

Thanks again, feeling confident enough to give it a go now

Cheer

Steve