Engine Number

Guest sandy77uk

Guest sandy77uk

Filling in my IVA application and i have to put down my engine number so heres the thing, apparently the zetec has it stamped on the exhaust side on a little plate down near the gearbox bell housing, mines blank, GBS don't have a copy of the engine number either so......

help?

Is it one of the crate engines from GBS?

These don't have any numbers on them, I think they were intended to be used as factory replacement units, but there is a number on the bar-coded label, do a search for zetec engine number, it's been discussed on here a few times already

Guest sandy77uk

Is it one of the crate engines from GBS?

These don't have any numbers on them, I think they were intended to be used as factory replacement units, but there is a number on the bar-coded label, do a search for zetec engine number, it's been discussed on here a few times already

Yeah i did a search before i posted the topic (I always do) i've got the ELH number, but nothing tells me how i can take this number and get an engine number

I'll give ford a call, see if they can track this number, it is theirs after all

***Ford couldn't help with an ELH number either***

any other ideas guys?

Edited by sandy77uk

Guest Sharky

Hi Sandy

I had exactly the same problem so I got in touch with my Local DVLO and asked them what I was to do about serial numbering etc and they told me I could make numbers up myself (same for chassis) - beware not all DVLO's do this and some are a bit anal and very prescriptive!! So I have kept the email as evidence and I have done just as they said and whacked an eight digit number onto the engine bellhousing web (LHS) so it's easy to see. Why eight you may ask, well to be honest, I did eight 'cos I couldn't be fagged to do any more digits and thought that a reasonable amount of numbers for 2.0 Zetec engines to make it fairly unique!! <_<

If I were you, I would drop an email to your DVLO - who are going to process your paperwork for registration - and see what happens. The worst they can do is give you a number to stamp in, (which is what you need) so what's to lose? :unknw:

Whatever you do, don't phone them using their web site tel number (this is a vile trick and results in +45 mins holding and listening to 80's mega hits from 'Now that's what I call music 12' then you get some jobsworth in Swansea [of all places] telling you that he/she can't actually put you through to your local office to talk to a real person, but even though they haven't a clue what a kit car might be or what you are actually talking about, they will talk to the local office on your behalf - queue more holding and another round of Video killed the radio star etc etc until you finally get an answer to what the numptey 'thought' you wanted to know, but is actually a mile away from what you really needed!) No, I am not bitter ..... it's just an hour of my life that I will never [ever] get back and I will actually begrudge them that hour as I lay on my death bed!! :aggressive:

Anyway, I shall step away from my soap box and resume the remnants of the Shiraz ....

Good luck .........!

Sharky

Guest sandy77uk

Hi Sandy

I had exactly the same problem so I got in touch with my Local DVLO and asked them what I was to do about serial numbering etc and they told me I could make numbers up myself (same for chassis) - beware not all DVLO's do this and some are a bit anal and very prescriptive!! So I have kept the email as evidence and I have done just as they said and whacked an eight digit number onto the engine bellhousing web (LHS) so it's easy to see. Why eight you may ask, well to be honest, I did eight 'cos I couldn't be fagged to do any more digits and thought that a reasonable amount of numbers for 2.0 Zetec engines to make it fairly unique!! <_<

If I were you, I would drop an email to your DVLO - who are going to process your paperwork for registration - and see what happens. The worst they can do is give you a number to stamp in, (which is what you need) so what's to lose? :unknw:

Whatever you do, don't phone them using their web site tel number (this is a vile trick and results in +45 mins holding and listening to 80's mega hits from 'Now that's what I call music 12' then you get some jobsworth in Swansea [of all places] telling you that he/she can't actually put you through to your local office to talk to a real person, but even though they haven't a clue what a kit car might be or what you are actually talking about, they will talk to the local office on your behalf - queue more holding and another round of Video killed the radio star etc etc until you finally get an answer to what the numptey 'thought' you wanted to know, but is actually a mile away from what you really needed!) No, I am not bitter ..... it's just an hour of my life that I will never [ever] get back and I will actually begrudge them that hour as I lay on my death bed!! :aggressive:

Anyway, I shall step away from my soap box and resume the remnants of the Shiraz ....

Good luck .........!

Sharky

Thanks for the heads up buddy, I know dealing with government agencies is a total joke

Guest sandy77uk

well for what its worth i've finally got an answer from DVLA/VOSA

VOSA only require an engine number where supporting documentary evidence is being provided in order to otain a less onerous emissions test, so for a new engine they don't care

DVLA only need an engine number to link the engine to the chassis and therefore i have been advised to apply my own unique number

However as nothing is ever simples, Peterborough DVLO have said they will assign me an engine number after my IVA is completed, so it will be stamped at a later date

Guest robinj66

That's sounds great news Sandy ... But Wait! How can you fill in the engine number on your IVA application if the DVLA will only issue one after the IVA?

I would agree an engine number with GBS - stamp that into the engine and make sure it appears on your paperwork.

Guest sandy77uk

That's sounds great news Sandy ... But Wait! How can you fill in the engine number on your IVA application if the DVLA will only issue one after the IVA?

I would agree an engine number with GBS - stamp that into the engine and make sure it appears on your paperwork.

VOSA have said i can put "not stated - new engine" aginst that section of the form, they only need to know for emissions purposes