Efi Or Coil Or Fuel Pump/accumulator/distrubutor

BigLee

There seems to be a lot relating to EFi on the board at the mo, so I thought I would ask for some guidance from anyone who may be able to help me.

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depend which way you look at it) I have an XR4i setup in an S7 which is how I bought it. Car had not been running for a long time (possibly up to 2 years) when bought recently and although I now have it running I cannot get the thing to accelerate under load.

Timing has been set, and mixture "twiddled" with.

With mixture set rich the car will run, idle and rev, but under load there are the flat spots from hell making it undriveable. Seemes to miss or run out of fuel giving just seconds of nothing and then will cough and bark into life. However I noticed today that the coil is leaking oil, so got one on order for tomorrow.

Fuel seems to be getting through, although the fuel pump is very noisy, and I understand that pressures in these manual injection systems are very high.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Could the coil be causing this? Anyone have any experience with the k-jetronic fuel distributor?

Also anyone know anything about converting these 2.8 V6's to carbs. I presume an early Granada inlet manifold and carb would drop on and the only thing I would need is a changed fuel pump??? I not TOO concerned about performance ( It should be adquate for me ) and I want simple.

Thanks for the offer Paul, although already purchased now and fitted yesteday. Seems 300% better although still not perfect. friend is setting timing and mixture on exhaust gas analyser on Monday, so fingers crossed will be OK.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon cooper

Hi Lee,

If you still need info, give me a shout.

Probably the warm up regulator, but can be other things to so don't throw loads of money at it yet.

Running system pressure is 70psi, control pressure when cold 15psi, 52psi when hot.

Fuel flow should be 1 pint in 20 seconds measured at the fuel return.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon, but i think sorted.

I have another thread about Swirl Pots that explains, but after measuring pump flow and deemed old one past it's best a new pump made vast difference.

Hesitation under acceleration purely down to fuel starvation. On a full tank superb....

Cheers

Superb