Fibre Glass Bodywork

Guest Goldie

Guest Goldie

I've only had my kit a couple of days but already am thinking about the weight of all those steel panels. Also I'm thinking the car will probably resonate quite a bit unless I apply some kind of sound deadening.

My dad also has a Dax Rush and I want to be able to keep up with him.

So this weekend a friend that works with fibre glass for a living is going to have a look at my kit to get any idea of what would be required to make a full set of body work for me out of fibre glass.

When I say full set, I'm thinking:

Bonnet

Scuttle

Side panels

Back panel

Rear arches

and maybe tunnel

What I was wondering, was is there anyone else out there who would be interested in any replacement bodywork?? Either with coloured gel coat (so no spraying required) or colourless ready for spraying.

I'm just wanting to guage the level of interest. If there was enough then I'm sure he would make up a top notch set of molds and be prepared to produce bodywork at a fair price.

I've seen work hes done before for other people in the past and its always very good quality.

So, is anyone interested???

Cheers

Adam

A lot of the weight is in the chassis, you could fabricate a new one from 25*25mm RHS steel and fit your glass fiber pannels to that :huh:. You could then sell your old chassis and body pannels on to someone who wants a cheep kit.

Hi Adam,

The steel panels dont add much to the overall weight of the car. Its got a beefy chassis, a very heavy engine, and a lardy rear end with the whole of the original Sierra setup. Also the weight of GRP resin adds up very quickly, and the weight loss would probably not be very big. Also think about the level of protection from steel vs grp if you have a side impact.

But you could make a really swoopy body, with loads of compound curves which we cant get in steel.

A 2B was never designed to keep up with a Dax Rush, but I guarantee your grin will be at least as big as your Dad's. Just remember you will be enjoying your drive that bit longer!!!!.

Dont worry about creaks, groans, or reverberations......there are absolutely none.

Blag a ride in one over a rough surface to see for yourself.

Bob

Guest Goldie

The weight of the chassis itself isn't that much different to the Dax until you add the back end of the sierra that is!! but thats not something you have any choice about. The only other place that the RH really gains weight over the Dax is all the steel. The Dax either used aluminium (and their wasn't a great deal of it) or fibre glass.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the 2B, I just thought while I was building it I'd take the oppurtunity to get rid of some excess weight.

Bob I can't argue with your point that steel would be stronger and you right the grin on my face will be just as big as my dads partly due to the fact his kit cost several thousand and mine only cost me a few hundred quid :D :D