2b Type9 Clutch Change ?

Guest ickle

Guest ickle

Never done a clutch before but have a bit o mechanical knowledge what is the easiest way to change the clutch in a 2b.

It is a 2.0 pinto with a type 9 box

Any help much appreciated :-)

Regards stuart

Unfortunately the only way to change the clutch on a 2B is engine out, sounds worse than it is, takes me about 45min to get the engine out of mine. Getting it back can be a bit of hassle depends if the gearbox lines up easy sometimes straight in other times not

It's an engine out job.

Once everything is disconnected, unbolt engine from gearbox, unbolt engine mountings and lift it out.

Clutch is a straight forward unbolt the old and replace with the new, just need to align the friction plate before tightening the cover bolts, either do it by eye, a socket extension bar wrapped in tape or buy an alignment tool.

If you don't have one get a sierra owners manual, it's all in there

Guest ickle

Kk looks like engine coming out before Newark then :-(

Really didn't want to do it before the end o the year as I wanted to put a zetec in over the winter.

Will rake out the Haynes manual for some studying tonight will be back if I need anymore help

Thanks so far guys.

Stuart

Guest sadjagboy

Hi Stuart

I've got a clutch alignment tool if you need to borrow one. Changed my engine, flywheel and clutch the other week, very straight forward as there is such good access. Alignment tool fits a 215mm 23 spline clutch, which is probably what you have in your car.

Best regards

Angus

Guest ickle

Kk got it all stripped ready for the pull out gonna borrow a hoist from whiz once he has his zetec sorted I have a shot o sadhagboys alignment tool so should be all good for Newark if the rest goes straight forward. Any other hints or tips welcome. I did notice that the rear exhaust port was a lot whiter than the rest I am correct in thinking that one must be leaner that the rest ?

Regards stuart