Spare wheel mounting etc

Guest chris brown

Guest chris brown

Ant I used two large washers and a piece of tube over the supplied threaded (wrong for wheel nut :angry: ) rod to space the spare wheel away from the back of the car this takes no weight as the tyre sits hard down in the chassis loop

Ok boss - glasses cleaned and eyes open :blink: ... it says:

the inside of the boot MUST be strengthened up and braced to carry the weight.

So there's something behind there giving it strength .... can I ask what?

Ant

As it says in both the write up, and on my post, this was what I did on my monocoque mark 3. There is a piece of angle iron going all the way across under the top lip of the boot, with both the roll over bar bolts, and the seat belt mounting bolts going through it, at the centre there are 2 more pieces of angle iron welded to the previous piece, going down to the bottom of the back panel, with the 2 holes for the outside bracket, going through them as well.

The spare wheel is held away from the back panel with a couple of rubber blocks glued to the panel.

The number plate/extra stop light bracket, is made so that it is still 'seeable' under the extra luggage 'shelf'

It's fine to carry lightweight camping gear on, but I wouldn't put heavy gear on there.

With the 2B hoop, you can really load it up. See our web site for idea's on making a luggage carrier.