Electric Cooling Fan

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

A total newbie to vehicle wiring so please excuse my ignorance as Ill probably be posting a lot over the next couple of weeks!

Im fitting my loom from premier wiring and want to know how the cooling fan works. I have the live feed but how does the fan know when to come on. I presume it needs a sensor/thermostat but am not sure further than that......

Guest kleighton

Have a search for fan switches on car builder solutions, they have a few that vary in the temperatures that they switch on.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/search,b.html?q=fan+switch

I got one from here, but I can't remember which one it is.

Here's how I wired it up too.

http://nw.rhocar.org/fan%20wiring.htm

Hope this helps,

Keith

Guest sandy77uk

A total newbie to vehicle wiring so please excuse my ignorance as Ill probably be posting a lot over the next couple of weeks!

Im fitting my loom from premier wiring and want to know how the cooling fan works. I have the live feed but how does the fan know when to come on. I presume it needs a sensor/thermostat but am not sure further than that......

I bought one of these HERE also bought the housing and fitted to top pipe next to the radiator, the premier loom has a live feed which fits to this switch, then from the switch to a terminal on the fan, then just take a wire from the other terminal to earth job done

Guest sandy77uk

Think most fans draw enough current to warrant a relay.

That link i posted has a built in relay, thats why I went for it, keeps everything simple :)

Guest sandy77uk

is there a fan switch on your thermostat? can you use that? thats how i was planning to do mine

steve

There isn't, you'd need to drill the hole and then go to the scrapies, get a fan switch and fit it, its not rocket science, i just couldn't be arsed and decided i liked the variable option a few people have mentioned on here

Sorry didn't know that piece of kit had relay built-in; Ford engine stat. controls relay which feeds fan on ours with a dash light to say when fan running -- tells me to lift-off for a while but hasn't happened yet. There is a good mod/wiring diagram on the N/W site; using the starter windings for the relay earth -- stops the fan running when cranking engine. Great for if (when) you stall a very hot engine.

Guest sandy77uk

Sorry didn't know that piece of kit had relay built-in; Ford engine stat. controls relay which feeds fan on ours with a dash light to say when fan running -- tells me to lift-off for a while but hasn't happened yet. There is a good mod/wiring diagram on the N/W site; using the starter windings for the relay earth -- stops the fan running when cranking engine. Great for if (when) you stall a very hot engine.

thats a clever idea, do you have a link for that?