Zero Rear Panel

David S

I have made up the rear panel and I am reasonably happy with the overall shape and fit. I have not rivetted it together yet, choosing to use the self tapping screws to line it all up etc. I know I need to bond the rear panel to the chasis rails underneath before rivetting them but have other people bonded the other joins, i.e. where sides meet the bottom part and on the top edge? Also, do you add the edge strip before or after you rivet it all together.

It is all so final once it is in place so are there any things that anyone would recommend are done prior to fitting it?

Guest gixerboy600

I have made up the rear panel and I am reasonably happy with the overall shape and fit. I have not rivetted it together yet, choosing to use the self tapping screws to line it all up etc. I know I need to bond the rear panel to the chasis rails underneath before rivetting them but have other people bonded the other joins, i.e. where sides meet the bottom part and on the top edge? Also, do you add the edge strip before or after you rivet it all together.

It is all so final once it is in place so are there any things that anyone would recommend are done prior to fitting it?

Hi David,

I bonded under the chassis rails belot the fuel tank but nowhere else, the edge strip should have helped you form the back panel, this will need to be rivetted on before fitting the panel and don't forget to use some tadpole beading between the edge trim and the rear panel (have a look at my pics). Also don't be tempted to trim the sides down at the bottom either side (they will look like fins) and rivet the bottoms together once the panel is fitted.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

John

Hi David,

I bonded under the chassis rails belot the fuel tank but nowhere else, the edge strip should have helped you form the back panel, this will need to be rivetted on before fitting the panel and don't forget to use some tadpole beading between the edge trim and the rear panel (have a look at my pics). Also don't be tempted to trim the sides down at the bottom either side (they will look like fins) and rivet the bottoms together once the panel is fitted.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

John

That's great, thanks John.

Guest Zero-MN

Yeah same as Gixerboy, we rivetted the back panel assembly together without sealant, then glued underneath when fitting to the car. Definitely take the advice of tadpole beading, we didn't and are now having to mess around with trim to cover the sharp edges.

Check your tank is correctly secured i.e. bonded to chassis with something like rubber lined metal straps bolting it onto the chassis. Check the tank is earthed too.