Brake Upgrade

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on possible options for upgrading the brakes on my 2B.

I currently have a totally standard 1600 Sierra set up with 14" alloy wheels.

I do not want to spend a lot. Are the Sierra 2L front discs bigger than the 1600?

Richard

Hi Richard,

you're using the Sierra master cylinder without the servo aren't you?

Are the front discs vented? if they are then they are the same as the 2 ltr. you could upgrade the rears to discs, either by fitting a LSD back end, see this article. as the caliper mounting etc, is on the hub bearing castings. Or by fitting a set of adaptor plates to your 'ordinary' back end, then fitting calipers, discs, and longer wheels studs. check out this article.

(I have some adaptor plates)

Jim,

Yes I have the Sierra Master Cylinder with no servo. The front discs I have are vented. I was thinking about fitting some grooved/cross drilled discs and a set of higher friction brake pads but I am not sure what sort of benefit I would get from this.

I am keeping my eyes open for a Sierra 4X4 rear end.

By the way - still have that oil leak despite another set of new sump gaskets and a brand new sump coutesey of QED. I was loosing about a litre of oil for every 100 miles !!! I have now got the engine out again. I am going to re-fit the rear Bearing Cap and Crank oil seal and try the 8v sump gasket/baffle.

Richard