Ooh Aar ! ......any Farmers Out There?

Andi

We have a few chickens in the back garden. protected by 6ft fence with 2ft trellis on top. At the back of the garden is a wood exporters yard

where foxes frequent. One of them got into the garden the other day. No real damage done because the neighbour chucked a brick at the fox

and scared it off.

Ideally I want to put a couple of rows of electric fed tape wire on top of the trellis. The cost of this could be huge, but I have come across 2

affordable options.

One is a sketchy internet based set up using a car battery, a coil, a switching relay and a condenser . The other is this cheapo ebay thingy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Fence-Energizer-RB85-PADDOCK-Mains-230-volt-/320712805567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aabf90cbf#ht_500wt_1156

Its a long shot, but does anyone have any experience in this field

Regards

Andi

Guest The Modfather

Only on a legal side. Be aware of the rules and regs regarding electric fencing. This should help you:

Electric fences shall be installed and operated so that they cause no electrical hazard to persons, animals or their surroundings.

Electric fence constructions, which are likely to lead to entanglement of animals or persons, shall be avoided.

An electric fence shall not be supplied from more than one energiser or from independent fence circuits of the same energiser.

The gap between two separate electric fences with different energisers shall be at least 2m. If this gap is to be closed, this should be effected by means of a electrically non conductive material. Barbed or razor wire shall not be electrified by an energiser.

Any part of an electric fence which is installed along a public path or highway shall be identified by warning plates securely fastened to the fence posts or clamped to the fence wires at intervals of approximately 10m. The warning signs shall be at least 100mm x 200mm. The background colour of both sides shall be yellow. The inscription shall be black and shall be the substance of TAKE CARE - ELECTRIC FENCE. The inscription shall be indelible, inscribed on both sides and have a height of at least 25mm.

Except for low output battery operated energisers, the energiser earth electrode shall penetrate the ground to a depth of at least 1m. Connecting leads that are run inside buildings shall be effectively insulated from the earth structural parts of the building. This may be achieved by using double insulated high voltage cable.

Connecting leads that are run underground shall be run in a conduit of insulating material. Care shall be taken to avoid damage to the connecting leads due to the effects of animal hooves or tractor wheels sinking into the ground.

Connecting leads shall not be installed in the same conduit as the mains supply wiring, communication cables or data cables.

Connecting leads and electric fence wires shall not cross above overhead power or communication lines. Crossings with overhead cables shall be avoided wherever possible. If such a crossing cannot be avoided, it shall be made underneath the power line and as nearly as possible at right angles to it.

If connecting leads and electric fences are installed near an overhead power line the clearances shall be:

Power Line Voltage under 1000 volts a clearance of 3 Metres.

Power Line Voltage of 1000 - 33,000 volts a clearance of 4 Metres.

Power Line Voltage over 33,000 volts a clearance of 8 Metres.

If connecting leads and electric fence wires are installed near an overhead power line, their height above ground shall not exceed 2m. This height applies either side of the orthogonal projection of the outermost conductors of the power line on the ground surface, for a distance of 2m for power lines not exceeding 1000V and 15m for power lines exceeding 1000V.

A distance of 10m shall be maintained between the energiser, Earth Stake and any other earthing system such as the power supply system protective earth or the telecommunication system earth.

Electric fences intended for deterring birds, household pet containment or training animals such as cows need only be supplied from low output energisers to obtain satisfactory and safe performance. In electric fences intended for deterring birds from roosting on buildings, no electric fence wire shall be connected to the Earth Stake.

A warning plate shall be fitted to every point where persons may gain ready access to the conductors.

A non-electrified fence incorporating barbed wire or razor wire may be used to offset electrified wires of an electric animal fence. The supporting devices for the electrified wires shall be constructed so as to ensure these wires are positioned at a minimum distance of 150mm from the vertical plane of the non electrified wires. The barbed/razor wire shall be earthed at regular intervals.

Where an electric animal fence crosses a public pathway, a non-electrified gate shall be incorporated in the electric fence at that point or a crossing by means of stiles shall be provided. At any such crossing, the adjacent electrified wires shall carry warning plates.

Hope this helps?

Daz

Guest Kennedy48

We used to use something similar to that eBay one. Had a small blue battery box. (rectangular big battery thing) and it came with a reel of White tape like a plastic wrap over cardboard boxs with small metal wires woven through. This used to keep the horses in. It's pulses on and off and only gives a quick zap. I used to hold it al the time for a laugh so it wasn't strong. Think that should work to keep foxes out. We has the sane problem with them aswell, as soon as the hunting was banned from there the chickens started going missing.

Luke

Guest Ratcatcher3D

I used to have ducks, chickens and lived in the middle of a forest we fould the best way of keeping the foxes out was to pee outside the birds caged area. Country foxes hate the smell of humans (not urban foxes) and will run a mile. Just keep it top up on the golden old pee :rofl:

Guest Peter Kelly

Go for the cheapo Ebay thingy, looks good value to me. Especially if you have an outside power supply. Don't forget you will need some wire or tape and a quantity of insulating rings.

Peter

Guest peter2b2002

I use a battery powered energiser type electric fence to keep the foxes away, it's linked up with the horses fence , keep hores in and foxes (+our dogs) away

petyer2b

Thanks all, and Daz for the legal stuff. Wouldnt want to get it wrong with todays suing culture or get a black mark on the enhanced CRB.

I have spoken to a horsey person today who may have an old one lurking about.. If not I think i`ll go for the ebay one and get some warning stickers.

And if one more person says "the fox is only doing what it does naturally" ill go nuts, I mean whats natural about a countryside ginger minger living in

a city and attacking birds from a South American jungle.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif