Starter Motor

Disco

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have purchased a zero zetec kit and am at the stage of fitting the engine and gearbox to the chassis. My first question is where on the engine 2.0 ltr zetec does the stater fit ( i believe i need a lucas lrs 707)The reason i ask this is that i mated the type 9 gearbox to the engine which fits ok but the place where the starter fitted on the sierra is covered by metal work on the engine. I think that the starter fits low down on the manifold side according to gbsc pictures so have i got the wrong shape bell housing or is there another explanation. The gearbox is from a 2.0 ltr granada of the right age.( or so i believe.

Many thanks

Disco

Guest Chutney

You are most of the way there. All that metal alloy that covers the starter mounting hole needs to come off the engine. If you look at it, then you will realise it serves no purpose in this case. Check my garage pics to see what I did. You also need a sandwich plate.

You are most of the way there. All that metal alloy that covers the starter mounting hole needs to come off the engine. If you look at it, then you will realise it serves no purpose in this case. Check my garage pics to see what I did. You also need a sandwich plate.

Thanks for the info. What is a sandwich plate and where does it fit?

Guest Chutney

Its a steel plate that fits between the engine and the bellhousing. It stops crap getting to the clutch and flywheel etc. Again there's a picture on my gallery. It wouldn't be difficult to make one, I modified the one from my pinto engine. Some people don't bother- up to you.

Its a steel plate that fits between the engine and the bellhousing. It stops crap getting to the clutch and flywheel etc. Again there's a picture on my gallery. It wouldn't be difficult to make one, I modified the one from my pinto engine. Some people don't bother- up to you.

Thanks for the info parts now ordered when they arrive i shall have the fun of fitting them.

Disco

Guest Chutney

Now that is a lovely picture. Do that exactly. It's very satisfying hacking into the alloy as it's v soft. Does fly everywhere though so tape all ya holes up. Smells funny too, I suspect it's probably poisonous.