Removing Red Oxide Primer From Chassis

Guest steveharr

Guest steveharr

I painted my 2B chassis with red oxide primer to protect it whilst i went abroad to work.

It did a good job but there is some light rust over most of it. I need to remove the paint and using a wire brush or drill attachment wire brush is useless, does anyone know of a better way to remove the paint? Chemicals?

Steve.

Guest mickmellors

Im afraid your attempt to protect the chassis is probably the cause of the rust as almost all primer paints are actually porous and if not protected with top coat(s) will actually absorb moisture from the atmosphere AND START THE CORROSION PROCESS !

Removing the paint should be done with some caution as you will need to use a suitable thinner and some form of agitation/abrasion such as wire wool. The vapours from thinner are not good for you if inhaled - especially over the period of time it will take you to strip the whole chassis ! ! GET IT ALL OUTSIDE IN THE FRESH AIR ! ! ! ALSO BE AWARE THAT THE THINNER IN CARCENOGENIC SO WEAR SUITABLE PROTECTIVE RUBBER CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION. You should find the wire wool will get rid of most of the light surface rust and then get the worse bits with a rotary wire brush in an electris drill or angle grinder. Be very aware that LOTS of the wire bristles will fly out of these rotary brushes at a great rate of knots and will stick in skin or eyes - they also stick into carpets and mats on the garage floor and lay in wait of you kneeling on them - EXTREMELY PAINFUL ! !

Guest MikeD318

You can get a disk from Halfrauds that fits into an angle grinder, it has a knitted plastic affair instead of using wire and it does the job of the rotary wire brush far better, in my opinion and takes painted surfaces and rust back to bear metal with ease and without damaging the metal at all. The only trouble is they're £5 each and I would think you'd need a few to do all of the chassis.

HTH,

Mike.

Guest daveg

Steve

Nitromor (I think the spelling is reasonable close :p ) do a water based paint stripper which is really quite good...

...less fumes to make you crawl on the ceiling :(

Dave

steve

if as you say there is light rust over most of the chassis, why do you need to remove the red oxide primer ?

Surely your easiest option will be to leave the primer on but remove the rust that has formed on its surface re apply primer where necessary and apply a top coat to prevent the problem re-occuring.

I would personally use emery cloth in the hand or by wrapping it round the tube to remove as much as possible.

Use a combination of wire brush (hand and rotary) where chassis tubes join

The problem with using an abrasive type disc is that is a slow process on account of the cylindrical section of the chassis and the cost at a fiver a disc.

This would be my preferance but others may disagree.

atb

swan