Exmo Cycle Wings

Guest hanksy

Guest hanksy

hi im new to the club and iv just brought a robin hood exmo 95% finished from the kit car magazine it has passed the iva 5 yers ago and i brought it in a sorry old state iv been in the garage for a week and iv got it running and mot im on the road i need help with the butterfly wings i have brought carbon fibra cycle wings and i want to know how to get the brackets and where abouts to fit them as i have the solid arm type from the chasis im not quite sure what there called do i need to get these made thanks for any help

The problem with the Exmo and cycle wings is that you can only fit them fixed to the macpherson strut support.

Fitting them there means they can't turn with the wheels.

Cycle wings only work with wishbone suspension or the sliding pillar.

Guest hanksy

yes its the exmo with McPherson struts i have google it on images and seen that it has been done but does not look easy are these cars any good after reading that it does not sound very good with these struts

There has been one attempt to convert to wishbones but it's not easy, if you have an Exmo, drive it and enjoy it, it's probably not worth spending much on it.

The cycle wing issue is a conundrum, look better but difficult to fit as the strut gets in the way and you still have the strut spar sticking out

there's a yellow (I think) exmo with cycle wings that looks quite good, I think they cut into the wing and shaped it around the top cross member and mounted it there.

obviously this method means they won't turn with the wheels though.

for the time and money it would take to convert to wishbones I think I would rather build a new zero. (very tempting but no funds )

Guest hanksy

there's a yellow (I think) exmo with cycle wings that looks quite good, I think they cut into the wing and shaped it around the top cross member and mounted it there.

obviously this method means they won't turn with the wheels though.

for the time and money it would take to convert to wishbones I think I would rather build a new zero. (very tempting but no funds )

i know what you mean mate but if you type in the search exmo cycle you will see a yellow one two and made a bracket and turns with wheels i have brought carbon fibre ones as i want to put carbon fibre wrap on car ill let you know how i get on im new to this but i want a sporty look so iv set my self a challenge i have the vv carbs on from the sierra im in the middle of fitting 32/36 webbers on im hoping ill get more power thanks for your help

Guest hanksy

Hanley, I have a few engine build tips if it's a Pinto.

Some cheaper bolt on power upgrades to start up to the full engine rebuild upgrade for those with a bottomless wallet

yes mate its a 1.6 pinto standard it comes with the vv carbs i have brought twin webbers for it and k&n filter have not fitted it yet im hoping it will be little faster it has 4 speed box also im not to sure what to do next any advice would be great as im new to this cheers

For a 1.6 engine the most simple power upgrade is to fit a 2.0 litre engine, gives you + 20bhp.

If you need to keep the 1.6 there is realy only a couple of mods worth doing, I would suggest fitting the 2.0 litre camshaft, plenty about as most 2.0 litre owners upgrade the cam and have original ford item with springs and followers that they usually throw away.

It has more lift and more duration than the 1.6 cam, it is easy to fit and time up using the Ford timing marks, so you don't even need a Vernier cam wheel.

Bike carbs next, for the 1.6 litre slightly smaller than the 2.0 litre to keep gas speeds up, I have a set of bike carbs ideal for the job, 33mm carbs from a 600cc bike in "as new" condition £75, these would follow you on to a 2.0 litre and work well.

Guest hanksy

ok thanks i wished id none week ago as iv already brought webbers for it cost me 175 with the k&n filter i will put the 2.0 cam in though if you think that will go straight in many thanks for the advice if the webbers is not much improvement ill give you a shout on the bike carbs cheers

• 3 months later...