What Happens Next?

Guest Kennedy48

Guest Kennedy48

Cars going in for restest hopfully soon. Now. What happens next. I know you have to take it to dvla and get it check, then what happens. How do we contact dvla. Do we phone as soon as cars passed and drive straight there, do we drive straight there and rev the engine til we get what we want.

Il be going to the one in Newcastle upon Tyne if anybody knows the score for this area or any advise on what others did.

Cheers

luke

You will have to book a build up inspection if you have not already done so. Once this is done which is a simple case of them looking for chassis number then the registration process begins, presentation of build photos and all receipts for donor and other bits, donors V5 etc. Then they will take road tax and registration fee from you and issue a registration number, a new current year if you built from all new parts, an age related I.e. If it was built from one donor or a Q plate if built from a pile of bits.

Sometimes it can take weeks to complete this process.

Try and make there life easy present the information in a folder in a logical order, if you just produce an envelope with piles of stuff jammed in it will take them a lot longer to find the information they need to be able to issue you with the registration and documentation you need to get the car on the road, once all this is achieved you will then need to buy Reg plates and fix to the car.

Guest mastarforth

Newcastle are quite peculiar in this in that on the 2 occaision I have been involved they did not want to book the BUI until the car had passed IVA/SVA test. I know others in the north east had differnet experiences and booked in advance.

I guess you will therefore be taking the car to Gosforth for your IVA, Once you have done it, I would just drive round and book your BUI there and then.

They are unlikely to do it straight away even if they are not busy, but from what I remember I managed both times to get a few days later.

I do not know if you drove the car to your IVA, but I was told that this would be unacceptable for the BUI and would be illegal. However, talking with the inspector at DVLA he said he would not fail me if I did drive it there, so I took the chance and drove it to the office in Gosforth, as did not have access to trailer.

Good luck in the retest, the BUI is a waste of time and is very straight forward, just another hoop you need to jump.

Hi Luke

before my IVA retest I went down and spoke to the kitcar person (Ann) at the DVLA office at regents centre newcastle.

I got all the forms needed for the bui & registration & asked loads of questions.

you will need to book a bui, perhaps the same day as your retest