Lambda Sensor Fitting

Guest dctough

Guest dctough

I've just bought an Innovate LC-1 lambda sensor system for my zetec powered zero. My plan for fitting was to put a small hole in the side of the body panel to pass the sensor cable through a grommit into the engine bay. However the size of the sensor at one end and the connector at the other means I will have to put a big hole in the side panel which I'm not too keen on. The sensor cable isn't long enough to route underneath the car into the engine bay. I was wondering how people had got around this. Ideally I'd be able to dismantle the connector pass the wires through and reassemble, but the connector is a type I've not come across before and I'm unsure how to get it apart. Any pointers will be greatfully received.

Dave

depends what you are plunging it into.

If it plug into your loom the temptation would be to keep the plugs and drill a bigger hole.

Or cut the plug off pass the wire through a small hole and reconnect in engine compartment.

or change the plugs for terminals, although this always looks messy.

four pin plus and sockets are available at different sizes.

regards

They are plenty of good waterproof connectors you can buy from CBS, or Autolec or any of the ones on ebay. Got to be better than a big hole in the side of your car! After all your not Rowan Atkinson, are you?

Guest sandy77uk

cut the connector off, drill a small hole, pass new wires through and solder/heat shrink

fortunately mines long enough so i have drilled a hole in the floor right next to the 4-1 collector

Guest old_timbo

Had the same dilemma when I fittedmine. You need to keep the standard connector for the LC1 and Icouldn't find a definitive answer on whether you could cut the wiresbetween the connector and the sensor. However the wideband sensorpulls air down through the outer cable sheath for use as a reference.So I decided not to mess with it.

The smallest part is the sensor and itfits through a 25mm dia. Hole (IIRC). So I got hold of a 25mm dia.grommet, punched a hole in it the same dia as the sensor cable sheath, madea cut from the hole to the edge so I could slip it over the cable.Looks neat when fitted, cable goes vertically up from the exhaust andthrough the side of the scuttle.

Tim

Guest dctough

Thanks for the responses guys.

I did a bit more research on the web and it turns out that the sensor connector is vagely based on VAG connectors. So i've bought this:

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?item=3175

Using this and a suitable fashioned paper clip, I've managed to remove the terminals from the connector housing without causing any damage. This means i should be able to get away with only putting a hole big enough for the wires to pass through in my side panel (8-10mm) :clapping:

Dave