Tow Bar Electrics

Thrashed

Hi guys

Fitted my new tow bar to the insignia in readiness for the iva. The bolting together bit was easy enough, but now to the wiring!!!

I have identified the wires in the boot of the car and have a a 7 way bypass relay. My question is, do I just connect in with scotch blocks/ blade connectors? and do I need to put an inline fuse in between the 12v and the relay.

Any help would be great.

Thanks as always.

Steve

Assuming the by pass relay is the correct one to use on the car (can bus or obd equipped presumably?) I would always use a fuse between the source and the relay. I would avoid the use of scotch blocks as they have long term corrosion issues and must be correctly fitted (easier said than done due to wire size issues). If am adding into an existing wire (rather than than lengthening) I strip 1cm of outside insulation on the original wire and the new wire, twist the new wire end a couple of time (longitudinally) and then wrap that round the original and solder the joint. Then wrap with insulating tape and that joint will never fail. Get the joint hot with a soldering iron or other suitable heat source and melt the solder into the joint, don't apply hot solder to warm the joint!