Help Ive Lost My Spark!

keith kelly

ok, car is running like SHt, thought it was my carbs but all appears ok, but when i remove nubmer 3 ignition lead there is no change to the engine running where there is on the others.I i checked that i had spark through the lead at the plug end by eathing it, Plenty of spark! changed the plug (Bound to be that) No still the same. used my timong light to see if that would register with lead attached to plug and nothing.

Took the rocker cover off to check rocker arm all looks fine.Checked that air was being drawn into number 3 at the carb and sucking just as mutch as the others. Did a compression test go 11.2bar not bad for an old motor! so i beleive i have ruled out the plug, leads, rocker, valves (would not suck and blow, pardon the expression)and carbs.

so why is she not running right???

HELP!!!!! I WANT TO GO TO STAFFORD!!!

thanks keith

If you have a spark it has to be fuel, rev the car up, cover the offending carb intake for a few seconds, whilst revving, as high as you dare, and let go, if the is any blockage in the carb it may clear it

ok tried that and no joy! there was plent of fuel on my hand through when i took it away! i think i have uncovered another issue though, i took the rad cap off and i have sludge (wasnt there before) i assume this is my head gasket gone! i have just compression tested all cylenders and have over 11 on all of them so must be between oil and water only.

that aside i would'nt have throught it would cause my orgional issue??

oh well that me done for this year!!! here's hoping for stoneleigh lol.

Guest Alan_builder

As you didn't say you had cream cheese in the rocker cover, it might not be a leak in the head gasket to the oil.

You could have a small crack to the waterway, that can stop the mixture firing. Normal problem in loss of water, blown out of the rad cap or a hole in the water system. Some cracks act like one way valves so a water loss may not yet be showing.