Rear Number Plate

Guest jwts

Hi,

I have a SuperSpec kit (2004) which is hopefully nearly finished.

I have fitted a standard shape (all figures in one line)rear number plate carrier but just realised I only have one number plate light in the middle facing down. Should I have a 'square' rear number plate if I have a single centre down-facing number plate light (for IVA)?

John.

Guest Alan_builder

Hi John,

You should read the IVA manual and see what it says, I bet it says the numberplate has to be Illuminated but I bet there are no illumination levels quoted and the number of lights left to the builders discretion.

Look at the plate at night and see if you can read it at 25 yards!

When it was SVA I fitted one number plate light and made own carrier, Ok the inspector and tester tried to fail it, sharp edges but I told them to fit a number plate and then there would be no sharp edges, they did, fail removed.

You need to know the regs and have your answer / question organized for when that say not up to the job.

again maybe not so useful info but for my SVA i had a standard plate sitting basically on the wheel carrier glued to the back panel. Its less than 5mm protruding so should just need blunted edges. I then had a single light shining up on the plate. There was a bit of a discussion as the light was on a hanger and was technically contactable but it was within the wheel carrier and therefore was exempt from the sharp edges i think because it was below the floor line but couldn't be got at by their floor line measurer as the hoop stopped it.

as said though double check the manual to see if its changed but there are 2 of us at least that passed SVA with a single light.

hth

I would just like to add a piece, you shouldn't have an actual number plate fitted but should have a space to fit one, the manual states

An external body surface or a purpose-designed mounting system securely attached to the vehicle must be provided, to hold the plate in a fixed position.

(see note 2)

Note 2: A plate hanging from the vehicle with no structure or support brackets behind it would be considered unacceptable.

I read that as you must have somewhere to fit the plate, the plate itself cannot be the fixing.

Hope I haven't confused matters and made it worse.

John

http://www.johnskitcar.com