Sierra 2.0 Efi Twin Cam

Guest NantLladron

Guest NantLladron

Hi All

I have a 2ltr Pinto and a Type 9 gearbox ( reverse is push down and to the passengers side ) , does anyone know if a 2.0 EFI twin cam from a sierra fits ?

Ta

Mark

Guest chris brown

The DOHC will fit but the inlet manifold is large to say the least so if you want to keep the ford EFI you may have to make up your own as unlike the pinto one it is not an easy job to cut it down to get it under the bonnet. As for gear box to engine, Ford used a standard stud layout for many years (until they started using Mazda derived engines) so there is no problem there.

My question is why? as I don't see any advantage in fitting the DOHC over the pinto only a lot of hassle

Guest NantLladron

I thought the DOHC efi unit was a 16v unit but i beleive now its a 8v , my pinto puts out just over 100 bhp with twin 40s and a cam so may be a bit tired , i think the EFI is around 135 bhp? also my pinto is doing 20-25 mpg

Guest chris brown

A better bet would be to put a EFI head (better porting) along with either bike carbs or throttle bodies on to the pinto that way you will be heading towards 150 BHP without the hassle of fitting a lump with the exhaust on the other side, an ECU that cant be upgraded and no better fuel economy. BTW I don't think I have had better than 25 MPG out of mine except once on a long run when it was snowing so never went above 2000rpm or 35 mph ( it's the weight of the right boot that does it you know)

The DOHC engine does have the inlet & exhaust on the opposite sides to the Pinto.

The Cosworth YB engines are the same as the Pinto though.

If you are looking at donor cars to find another engine, then you need to know the correct Ford engine code (3-letters/numbers) that is shown on the VIN plate.

The chart shown HERE may be of some interest on this topic.

Guest Alan_builder

Hang on Chaps,

Chassis! What chassis have we determined is being used?

I don't think the DOHC fits the 2B/04, infact I think StephenDOHC and GrahamB had a special DOHC chassis? The revisions of the 2B chassis are not that well documented so just a word of caution.

DOHC is an 8v 2L DOHC EFi and is the same way round as the Zetec which of course is the popular choice and you can extract 160 to 220 bhp depending on the cam and whose throttle bodies you use.

Guest Alan_builder

I thought the DOHC efi unit was a 16v unit but i beleive now its a 8v , my pinto puts out just over 100 bhp with twin 40s and a cam so may be a bit tired , i think the EFI is around 135 bhp? also my pinto is doing 20-25 mpg

FOG foot off the gas, but you may point your blunt finger at the 40s, EFi should do 25 to 33.

2L Pinto EFi was 127 out of the box add a bit for a good exhaust system and reduce for ware.

Guest NantLladron

Well its going back on the rolling road friday. Carbs needed cleaning new seals and a fully working throttle linkage ( old one was not opening both eaqually )

The RH "2B-DOHC" chassis is different to the "2B".

... for example, it had a wider tunnel for the MT75 gearbox, lower floor line for better seat fit, different cross member behind engine, different engine mounts, and other build details such as: pre-fabricated scuttle, first batch had one piece fibre rear wings used with a flat rear panel, and also some small details etc.

It is almost the same as the "Superspec" chassis - I was told the engine mounts were the only significant differences.

That said, some people have fitted the standard "2B" with a DOHC/MT75 powertrain, but it needed "surgery".

The "2B/4" came later and was a (tiny) evolution of the "Sub-k", and was not intended for the DOHC, although I would guess a Zetec should fit.

Ford DOHC engines came in 8V and 16V - the 8V has loads of torque low down, but 16V does not exceed that peak until revs get past about 4000, so expect to rev a 16V and pay the price in fuel, when using the performance.

Ford always officially quoted power in kW (even way back then), and the most powerful Efi Pinto version (non-catalyser) was published at 85 kw, which actually calculates to 113.9869 bhp, but no-one can really detect a difference of 1 bhp though !

Carb and Efi versions were NOT same power by quite a way.

Edited by zygoteer

Guest chris brown

We are getting a little away from what Mark asked "which car had this engine fitted ?". It was introduced late 1986 until late 1989 but some must have been in stock "on some disused airfield somewhere" as they do turn up with later registrations and was fitted to the Sierra, Granada, also in a low compression version in P100 and the Transit.