Some Help Please Chaps

Guest Simon Harbour

Guest Simon Harbour

Dear All,

I have be given permission by the other half to buy a kit car (on the proviso that I buy her something in return - A WEDDING!)

After having a look around at the kits on offer I quite like the look of a Robin Hood. I'm afraid that I'm a bit fussy and don't want a pre-made kit that may have been abused etc. so I though about building one. I like the idea of the Super Spec kit, the only problem is the most abitious mechanical thing I have done in my life was change a starter motor on a Fiesta.

Am I dreaming, or is realistic that with a lot of swearing and a little determination I can actually build the thing.

Secondly am I doing the right thing with the Super Spec kit. After discussing it with Robin Hood, they said I would learn something when stripping down the Donor Car, this is ok but I really like the idea of a brand new car i.e the Super Spec.

Sorry to waffle on, if you are still awake some pointers would be great, even if its negative!

Cheers

Simon :huh:

Guest Simon Harbour

Cheers for the support,

If I get started Mid June, do you think I'll be in a position to have it on the road in the following June?, accepting working on it all evenings and weekends

Hi Somon,

How dificalt did you find it to change the starter motor? did you bodge it and feel "thank god that's over" or would you happily tackle it again?

The Robin Hood kits are great fun, any problem you encounter has been solved befor and in many different ways. They are not a simple "bolt the bits together" affair, you get to make lots of parts yourself from a multitude of different house hold objects :p.

Many people on this board have had little or no prior knowlage of mechanics but they produce some of the best cars!

My build took a year to get on the road (cos I rushed some parts :boohoo: ) but most builds seem to take from 1 to 2 years.

Good luck! B)

If I get started Mid June, do you think I'll be in a position to have it on the road in the following June?, accepting working on it all evenings and weekends

Nobody but you can answer that. To get a 2B on the road took me about 900 hours over 13 months. Some do it faster, others do it slower. I reckon that the vast majority of kit cars never make it to the road. There's far more kit cars in people's garages in bits than there are road legal (or track ready) ones.

Every decision you make during the build will be a compromise between at least two things, and making those decisions, and re-making them, and re-making them is where the time goes. No kit car is ever perfect, and no kit car is ever complete. There's always something to be improved "next on the list".

Building a kit car and planning a wedding simulataneously is going to be one hell of a test on your relationship. Is your partner going to be happy with "all evenings and weekends"?

That said, anyone can build a kit car so long as they give it time and effort. It's not easy, don't spoil it by rushing, and its not always fun, but driving a car you built yourself is a feeling worth earning :rolleyes:

Ant

Guest Andy Rathbone

nothing worth achieving is ever easy!

Am I dreaming, or is realistic that with a lot of swearing and a little determination I can actually build the thing.

i think you may need more determination but it will grow.

iVe been on mine nearly 4 years now, but before you get the violins out i have spent a month in Austrailia changed girlfriend and moved house.

the important one is the girlfriend. the last one asked which i loved the most

her or the car. i made the mistake of telling her(she had been annoying me at the time) the new one knows her place. ive had the car longer :wub: please dont hurt me.

its up to you, come to stonleigh and talk to a few people, i looked around and settled with a hood based on value for money and attitude to other manufactures/builders. cant say here will PM you if you want me to elaborate :)

and the owners club is as you can see from this board, there aint nothing we cant do. Today a car Tommorrow the world Ha HA HA.

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Ditto what the other say....

Started off great guns with mine, nothing to nearly finished in 4 months - Then changed jobs, moved house and a year later, still nearly finished....

If the future missus will let you spend all of your 'quality' time in the garage, then go for it.

Stuart.

Guest Simon Harbour

Thanks for all the replies.

The missus is more than happy for me to spend all my time in the garage, as she nows where I am and not in a pub.

I think that I might give it a go! is the Super Spec the better option? i.e I won't need to strip a donor down

Simon

Depending if funds allow ,I would certainly go for the superspec, it should be much quicker to complete,and probably you could complete it without having to

buy a lot of expensive tools.....mig welders etc,as the superspec comes from Robin hood as a rolling chassis with engine/gearbox, backaxle installed.

Hope this helps!!!!

Cheers Ian

Guest Simon Harbour

I prefer the idea of the Super Spec as its in essence a new car!

I think I'm sorted, I'm going to give it a try and build one!! Is it worth really stretching myself financially and trying to get a turbo?, 140 bhp will be more than enough won't it??????

Is it worth really stretching myself financially and trying to get a turbo?, 140 bhp will be more than enough won't it??????

my 2B is a standard 2.0 with a single carb about 100 BHPand it'll see off most things except the V8 TVR i had a run in with the other day.

its all about acceleration and twisty country lanes not so much top end mph...

get your car built SVA'd and on the road then modify it later ,

good luck with them both you know where we are if you need us (for advice on either);)

ash

Guest Simon Harbour

Is it worth really stretching myself financially and trying to get a turbo?, 140 bhp will be more than enough won't it??????

Just spoken to Robin Hood and fuond out how much for the turbo motor, ouch (lol) Maybe for the next one I think a 2Lt 16v will be enough for now! :o

Guest Bob's Babe

Your new misses needs to read some old copies of the club mag to see what spending all your time in the garage really means :wacko: But as you say, she knows exactly where you are, where the money goes and who you're with when at shows etc. I would never have stopped Tim, he has just started building kit number 2 :boohoo: so looks like spending the rest of the summer in the garage...Actually BOB the first kit is in the garage, so he's started this one in my back garden :p But he's happy and can't complain when I go shopping :D

SUE

Guest Bob's Babe

Having shown Tim this thread he says if you can hang on until Sept you can buy BOB> This car has a long history is bl y fast (I've sat in it doing 100mph), Tim informs me it has ...180 brake h.p. Whatever that means ??? It isn't the smartest car in the lot ^_^ but it is well known and looked after.

Yes Tim does know I'm on hear, he also tells me he has had it well over 100mph but I'm not supposed to worry about this :rolleyes:

We, and the car will be at Stoneleigh if you or the better half need a chat

SUE :wub:

Im planning a wedding and building a 2b. Its a great excussto get out of making wedding plans. just tell her to make the plans and you will show up on the day after all thats all we have to do. by the way simon i have only had my 2b since the 28th of feb and it should be soon ready for road. i hope