Model Identification Needed

Guest mikerj

Guest mikerj

I have just acquired a rather grotty early Robin Hood. The car is unregistered (although I suspect it may have had it's identity stolen..it looks well used). It's fairly complete however, and allegedly runs ok (2 Litre Pinto). It has a monocoque chassis with a leaf spring live rear axle and a complete Cortina front subrame and suspension. I *think* it may be an S7, but could be way off the mark.

I've taken a few pictures to aid identification.

I bought the car initialy with the intention of using it as a donor for a (dare I say it) Locost that I started building a while back. However, it's certainly not beyond redemption, so restoring it is a possibility.

I've got a few questions to help me decide what to do:

Do RH still supply any parts for this model (body work, roll over bar etc?)

Is there some kind of build manual available, either paper or PDF?

The main tub is painted and showing a few rust spots, was stainless steel optional on these cars?

Where would I likely find a chassis number?

Is it worth restoring, am I likely to have major SVA problems?

I also have a feeling that I have read in the past that some of the monocoque RH's were prone to cracking somewhere, does it apply to this car?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

(PS. Didn't the old RHOCAR web site have a list of all the cars with a picture of each? Should be essential for an onwers club web site, stops fools like me asking so many questions :wacko: )

Hi mikerj

what i think you have there is an S7.

It could be what RH called a PAB (PART ASSEMBLED BODY) or S7 DELUXE (FULLY WELED) body/chassis unit, the PAB could be order in mild steel or mirror like stainless steel and the deluxe in stainless steel.

i built a deluxe kit back in 93 and its still going strong today.

RH can supply parts for this car, well i have no problem getting parts.

There was a build manual for the S7 lost mine years a go sorry it was not much good anyway!!!!!!!!

Most people put there chassis number on the rails under the bonnet or in the boot.

Check for cracks around the o/s foot well where the steering column go's I made up a reinforcement plate for my car and also under the seats where the rear fire wall join's the floor.

Can't see you having SVA problems if you go by the book.

as for the rear leaf springs it must be a mod some one has put in as i have the Cortina rear axel on my car.

hope this has helped you out a bit.

Chris n.

Guest mikerj

Chris, thanks for the useful info. I managed to get a couple of hours spare today to have a slightly more thorough inspection. Unfortunately it seems to have fallen into the hands of a brutal bodger at some stage, and there are large parts of the engine bulkhead cut away around the pedal area, wiring is in a terrible state etc. However, it seems that although only mild steel, the monocoque has stood the test of time pretty well.

I am definately leaning toward restoring it, as I don't like to see anything unusal scrapped that has some potential.

Guest Ianz

Mike

If you update your personal details,ie where you live,

you may get help from a local member........thats if you

need it of course!!!

Cheers Ian

Guest mikerj

Thanks for the reminder Ian, meant to do all that when I found out what the car was!

Got it running after messing around for a couple of hours (running on easy start anyway, must get some petrol for it!). No wonder the previous owner couldn't get it to run, cam timing was almost 180 degrees out!

Guest Russler

sorry couldn't resist

seriously though how is it coming along

p.s. I always wanted a mini moto, you should bring it to curborough, hopefully it will pass the sound test! :D

Guest rizla

:D its coming along fine i spoke to bob today on the phone,to give me a update,chassis all done and powder coated body fitted and all suspention done(with my imput)to be more adjustable.

as for the minimoto the son luvs it i had a hell of a job getting him in tonite,should be fun at curborough but i dont think it will fit in the kit B)