Alloy Wheels, Lacquer Bubbling/peeling

Guest HS88

Has anyone had a similar problem with peeling/bubbling under the lacquer layer of their alloys?

Wondering whether it's worth sanding and respraying or of there is anything else I could do?

Can get photos online tomorrow if that will help.

Thanks

Water has gotten in through stone chips & the alloy is corroding/oxidising. I treat tiny blemishes with clear nail varnish,so far so good. Think if bubbling present then needs a complete strip to completely remove all moisture & then respray. My take only;other treatments/opinions are available.

Guest mower man

I'll post this again as orig seems to have got lost ,the only real cure is a complete srip and repaint /powder coat toch up will cover for awhile but the prob is still there mower man

Guest MarkB

Thanks guys, any idea how much it would cost to get 4 alloys respected or powdered? Roughly..

Thanks

most paint shops charge about 25 quid a wheel to clean, touch up and repaint

Thanks Mark, is that going to be a full sand and repaint for that sort of price?

Andy, that sounds quite reasonable too. These are only 14s so I hope not too expensive.

I'm tempted to do myself, masking off the internal surfaces and just paint the outside face. This would probably end up looking two-tone since I don't think it would be easy to match the colour.

Any views on this method? Surely cheaper so long as you have the time to do it? And these alloys in question are not fitted to the car yet, but do have tires on. One also has some light kurbing :( but thats possibly removed with some light sanding/filler...

Thanks

Guest scrabster

hi, just paid £25 to have one of the wifes alloys done that she kurbed,same afternoon some twat opened their door onto hers and creased it on the ridge,thats booked in for saturday with dent master.rant over.

regards jess.