Harnesses

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all car is ready for its iva well I think it's ready, will it fail it's test if the harnesses go through the holes in the head of the seat and touch the side of the hole, is it best to route them on the outside of the seats

Thanks

My harness did exactly that and they passed that way. (Mine was a zero build though)

Best thing is not to ask the examiner if they will pass, let him decide first. Be confident in your approach. (It's ok to be nervous about it though :) )

Simon.

On the same issue I took some photos of my car into my local VOSA Centre and had a chat with the examiner, he told me to take the belts out of the holes and position them around the seat as they would fail otherwise.

As before it seems different centres interpret the rules differently.

I would suggest ask your local centre what they believe to be the correct way, I found Andy at the Gillingham centre very helpful.

HTH

John

http://www.johnskitcar.com

I would have thought that would be one of those "fix it while there" possibilities if there is a problem.

You don't want too many of those though :)

My examiner helped me out when I had to bleed the brakes after moving the locknut to the correct side of the bodywork. (The two back ones were correct, only the front I'd got wrong)

So the examiners are only human and can be helpful too :)

Simon.

Why?

The seats don't take any load from the seatbelts in the important direction anyway. If the belts went around the seats then it is more likely that the seat belts will slip off the shoulders allowing the upper body to move forward and impact the inside of the car.

Kind of stupid if THAT is allowed :)

Simon.

Unless the belts don't touch the seat when correctly fastened and adjusted when worn then as the body moves forward under breaking, if the seat hole moves the belt can straighten out allowing the body to move forward even further. That's why they want to see the seat strength "proof". I agree with your points as my belt needs to be carefully adjusted to not slip off my right shoulder. I haven't passed my belts through my seat holes because as I sit in the car my shoulders are a good 3 inches higher than the holes and the belt upper mounts aren't in line with the holes so under breaking there is a lot of room for belt straightening and the forces would push me down and forward.

Remember, how odd the rules may be, they ARE the rules that must be followed for a pass. Once the pass is in the bag and after BUI then................

Interesting point there. I wonder why then different examining stations like to see different things?

Isn't there some common training for this examination of the car for the testers? It seems that different examiners enforce different things.

Crazy ! :crazy:

Simon.