Redtop Big End Bearings

kevin the chicken

Hi everybody

I have decided to replace the big end bolts on my redtop with ARP ones as most engine builders seem to think it a good idea. While I am doing that it makes sense to change the bearings as they are not too expensive and I have no idea of the history of the engine although it seems to run ok without any nasty noises. I'm not going to touch the mains as it seems that if any bearings do suffer its the big ends especially if the engine has a high mileage

I know that there are two widths of bearings but would like to know if I would be able to see if they are standard size when I take the sump off, are they marked as standard or undersized?

Also is there anything else that I should do while I have the sump off apart from making sure that there is no muck in it?

Regards

Kevin

There are two types of ARP bolts, some need the holes in the bearing cap chamfering to clear a step under the head, the others don't as the step isn't there, if in doubt add the chamfer.

The differing bearing width was a cost cutting exercise, both sizes are interchangeable. Not sure about whether they will be marked, according to haynes the GM bearings are colour coded for size, replacements may be marked on the outside of the shell.

Pay lots of attention to getting the sump sealed back on properly, they leak for fun, loctite the bolts or they will work loose and cause a leak