Sat Nav

stevedohc2b

Guest Stuart Ainslie

I did consider the Sat Nav upgrade for my Palm but decided against it because of the screen size.

Instead, I run Autoroute 2004 on my laptop with a USB GPS. The GPS unit only cost £45 .

Works great, covers the whole of the world on a bigger screen and no need to load up different maps.

If anyone needs maps for their routes to Le Mans, drop me a PM and I'll .pdf the route to you

Guest Stuart Ainslie

I did try TomTom and one of the others on my Palm but just struggled beacuse of the screen size.

It is still good kit though.....

Guest Feek

I use ViaMichelin MapSonic on PalmOS. Not bad, I use it a lot, but it does have some limitations (beyond screen size alone). You get it with full maps of Europe and the GPS mouse and the cradle in the "Kirrio Navigation pack" for ~£250 (Amazon).

Options for routing include "shortest" and "quickest", but it has a hidden third option "stupidest", which we found worked well for the Range Rover in Cornwall. Example: direct route ended up on a tiny track only a few inches wider each side than the car, with the banks way above even the Rangie's roof. Then the sat nav announces that we should turn right onto a track marked "unsuitable for motor vehicles" !! :lol:

For the day to day stuff it's fine, if you stick to metres/kilometres rather than miles/yards - it doesn't understand how to say "in 100 yards", so you get no distance warning on imperial! :mellow: Get the patch to V1.3 to get the 3D view and night mode.

BTW, you need 8Mb free on the Palm, and an SD card for the maps...

HTH

Feek.