Help With Starting

Guest Captain Daz

Guest Sean Timney

Daz,

Don't know if its relevant....I had the same problem...no spark....it ended up being the positive wire from the ECS to the battery....It's shrouded in rubber tubing at the battery end and it had snapped inside....try that...you never know....

Sean.

Guest Captain Daz

Ant

Thanks.

I've tested the coil resistance on two new coils. The LT to HT is about 4500 ohms which is correct but the LT to LT resistance goes off the scale (ie zero resistance)when it should be very low.

The challenge remains.

Cheers

Daren

PS Cheers Sean, something else to try.

This is one of the few times that a digital multimeter is handy. Anyhow, if its virtually zero then it should be fine. My broken one was open circuit.

So next it's wires at the coil, right? An analogue multimeter is what's needed to see the pulses on the -ve wire. Digital ones don't react fast enough.

Ant

Nope. The LT + to - should be about 0.7 Ohms I think (from memory) so this is virtually zero. Infinite resistance would be open circuit which is what mine did when it broke.

Ant

Guest Captain Daz

Waaaahooooooooooooooooooooo!

She lives! Oh the sound, its pure music. Like a lioness stirring from a long sleep, first a purr then roaring loudly to mark her territory.....bit much? Sorry guys but I'm so chuffed.

So the fix? Well I would feel a complete numpty if I wasn't grinning from ear to ear but it turned out that the loom I stripped from the donor had a dodgy little 1980's DIY alarm spliced in to it. This incorporated a cut out switch. I traced it among the wires and stripped it out. Hey presto!

I have, however, learnt a great deal from you guys and would like to thank Ant, Terry, Mat, Charles, Lindsay and Sean for all your help. It was only your expertise and suggestions that kept me trying to find an answer. I was so close to calling out a car sparky and I'd much rather fix it myself. How else do you learn?

So she runs.............but now leaks water! I'm guessing it's the seal from the pump housing. Still, I'm a little bit closer.

Cheers

Daren