Can I Replace A 4 Point Harness With Standard 3 Point Seatbelt ?

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

I never intend to do any track days or racing or the sort...so the 4 point harness is a bit of a pain for me, simple things like wanting to adjust the mirrors, or leaning forward to see what's coming round the corner....

So, I was thinking of simply replacing the existing 4 point harness with a standard 3 point seat belt....

Can I just use the same fixing points....anything that I need to be aware of ??

And is it just a case of buying any standard 3 point seat belt ??

IMG_0224.jpg

Mounting points are all accessible and easy to change....

seatpanel2.jpg

Dave

the difficult bit would be getting a belt reel that sits at the same angle as your fittings, the inertia part of the reel will lock if not at the correct angle, unless you can find an aftermarket set

Have 3 point inertia reel belts in Florin from first build;passed IVA with them fitted. The reels are rear seat belt type with adjustable lock plates for any mounting, Florins reels are fitted so as to lie in the "void" between outer skin & inner line of chassis tubes. Rear floor mounts are as standard & top "change of direction" mount is on the roll bar.

Should be able to find the belt number tomorrow if helpful.

Guest david_l_perry

Any information is helpful !

I don't quite understand what you mean about where your reels are mounted....don't suppose you have any photos of the belt for clarity...picture speaks a 1000 etc etc blah blah...especially for an Idiot like me ;)

I thought the reel part would always be mounted at the top 'shoulder point' ??

Done the same here - when we built the car we had 3pt's in it but it hardly warrants it now, so I put intertia reels in it - just pulled them out of a scrapped 206.

The inner mount, for the latch, was re-used. The outer mount at the seat bottom, for the end of the belt, I made a thick steel loop welded onto a flat metal plate which could then be double-bolted through the floor with appropriate spreader plate on the other side. The top mount was already in place on the (cosmetic) RH roll-over hoop, and the intertia reel mount just bolted through the monocoque in the side sections of the rear boot space - keeping their orientation as per the 206 (ie. upright).

Just ensure any of the mounting points are suitably solid enough - if you're bolting through sheet metal make sure you put generous 3mm spreader plates on the other side so they're not going to pull straight through if they're called upon :-S !!

Pictures of the inertia belts in Florin

post-3135-0-50426700-1353007551_thumb.jpgpost-3135-0-74466200-1353007528_thumb.jpgpost-3135-0-67430300-1353007480_thumb.jpgpost-3135-0-71597500-1353007447_thumb.jpg

Hope these help,the belts are by "Securon" look up their web page -- has 5 different 3 point inertia reel belts. Even Little John has a seat & belt.

We have found the belts to be very useful as Mo & I are a lot different in height & we both drive;also great when you wear different amounts of clothing during the same outing.

I must admit, for ease a 3 point is a lot less bother, I was fortunate to have automatic mirrors in the 2b.... Well I say automatic...... Does using a brolly to move them count as auto?

Well mine were intelligent auto, whenever you hit a pothole the mirrors automatically dropped down to show the road.... Unfortunately mine had Alzheimer's and could never remember their way back up.

Your choice , but not for me,wouldnt like l and d's to easy to roll out of !! may be some where self tensoining harnesses will be available mowerman

Could always fit 2 x 3point to each seat --- sort of cross your heart bra style!!