Headlight Deflectors

Guest Mark P

Guest chris brown

Ant. easy to do with "normal" lights But with Lucas splodge not so as there is no definate cut off just turn them about 3 degrees towards the nearside (our offside) then they are fine thats what I did last year.

The first year that I went, I forgot about "doing" the head lights, and bought some of those "stick on" deflector things from the port at an exorbitant price (never again!) since then, we've masked ours with some insulting tape, you can see where it should go, on the photo below.

post-11-1084749010.jpg

PS. It's on the righthand (drivers side) of each headlight.

How on earth does that work out then? We're trying to block out ligh on the left of the car, so surely the tape goes on the left side of the headlight (viewed from the drivers seat). The light can't flip over once it's left the lens!??? :o

Ant

Oh yes it does! shine a good torch in the mist, and youll see that the brightest part of the light crosses over a couple of feet away from the torch. you light from the headlights do the same.

Edited by Big Jim

Guest Mark P

Thanks all.

Ash, thanks for putting the picture up. They are the exact ones.

Would it just be easier not to drive at night?? :rolleyes:

I'll have a play around and see what happens. Not a very good Idea though by the designers, thought they would have thought about this when making them.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Phil Slater

I'm coming to this thread late in the day but my understanding from a recent Caravanning and Camping club is that you don't need to bother about beam benders if your only over in France for a couple of weeks or so. With a lot of new headlight having clear lens's and no having datum marks, I think the rules have been changed/ relaxed somewhat.

Phil Slater

That may well be correct, but it takes only a few minutes to do, and it keeps the French Plod happy if they see that you've made an effort. Our lens do have an easy to tell area of deflection.

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Believe me, the French do get mighty upset if you do not fit beam deflectors.

Last year, a friend of mine who's car has Xenon projector headlights didn't bother and I have never seen so many gesticulations every eveing when we drove it around....

Worth spending 10 minutes with the insulating tape.....

The AA recommend a spare set of bulbs if your driving in France but if French plod pull you for having a light out they expect you to fix it there and then - if you can't they are more than happy to relieve you of some of your French beer tokens with an on the spot fine, but hey what do you expect from people that eat snails!

Going over there in june towing a caravan - now that has some good rules - spare bulbs for car and van, gold tow ball and something to do with tyre ratings among others. :blink:

Guest timswait

Surely if you've got sealed beams you don't need to bother anyway; a pair of mating glow worms are more likely to dazzle oncoming traffic!