Mk1 Mx5 For Sale - Garage Space Needed For Exmo!

Ben Powers

Ben - oil pressure is always low on old rover V8's at idle hot there will be hardly anything. Remember it's a pre SD1 and they run 35psi or such - don't panic. Some people change out the pressure relief valve to increase it - Real Steal sell them if you're really bothered.

Engine cut out means fuel starvation or no spark - if you've run it virtually empty on fuel you may have an airlock. When the gauge says empty it MEANS empty! no warning lights!! Happened to me at Le Mans - if that's the problem take air filter off, crank car and pour neat fuel into carb and that'll pull it through.

Thanks Scott, was as simple as a crusty connection at the fuel pump. I was working myself up thinking I'd scraped the sump off. Mrs points out I am horrendously pessimistic when it comes to cars! Took mr rac 2.5 hours to get there, 5 minutes to fix. Ill know for next time. All was of course immediately forgotten with a squirt or two off roundabouts. The pops and crackles on the overrun are real music...

Basic mechanics 101 - engine suddenly cut out and not starting - 99% of time fuel not getting there or no spark to ignite it.

You can always hear the fuel pump when you first turn ignition - it's at the back on passenger side in the tank (siera job) so that's something else you've learned, lol! Pull the carpet up and you'll get to the top, but you know that now! :-)

Guest alfaGTA

The joys of kitcar ownership! Could have been worse if it was raining and your stranded on the side of the road in shorts and a t shirt... Or miles from home on a trackday....

Yep, I have basically thrown myself in at the deep end so I imagine this won't be the last time I end up looking a bit of a twerp. I will make a point of carrying a basic tool kit with me in future, along with something warm!